Photo credit: Carolina Garcia
Carolina Garcia

Carolina Garica is a 15-year-old freshman who is a first year opinion reporter at Owl Feed! She was born on January 17th, 2008. Carolina had first joined journalism because she likes to write. She enjoys...

Photo credit: Mushroom Ritchie
Mushroom Ritchie

Mushroom Ritchie, a 15 year old sophomore in high school who has a love for drawing, video games, and anime. Her favorite thing to draw is animals, and mostly plays Roblox, Minecraft, and Omori. Some of...

68 °
    66 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
March 29
78°/ 60°
March 30
74°/ 57°
March 31
59°/ 48°
Heavy rain
64°/ 50°
71°/ 55°
77°/ 60°

OPINION: Chick-fil-A vs. Popeye’s

By: DeAnna Williams

On social media this past week, all I’ve seen are posts about or related to the Popeye’s chicken sandwich so I’ve decided to give it a try myself. You are probably wondering how this whole chicken sandwich debate started. Popeye’s released a new chicken sandwich in early August. 

A little after the sandwich was released, Chick-Fil-A made a tweet about their original chicken sandwich resulting in Popeye’s adding a tweet also. Popeyes quoted the Chick-Fil-A tweet with “…y’all good?” Of course, the Chick-Fil-A fans were quick to defend the restaurant, and that is the beginning of the chicken sandwich debate.  

Just like many others on social media, I was interested in the debate because it is a very trendy topic at the time. I went to Chick-Fil-A with my dad and we both tried the sandwich and then we went to Popeye’s and tried that sandwich too. Before trying either sandwich I asked my dad which one he thought would be better. In my dad’s opinion, Chick-fil-A most likely has the best chicken sandwich because “they’ve always had good quality food.”

92C3A948-ACB8-4BD7-BB33-1D6439EB0F43
Photo credit:  DeAnna Williams

I, on the other hand, was skeptical because although Chick-fil-A is very good, I’ve always felt like it was a little overrated.  After trying the Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich, I can say that it was definitely worth a try, it was very good and I was satisfied with the outcome. 

Next we went to Popeye’s. I was surprised with the quality of their sandwich. It was one of the best chicken sandwiches I’ve had. At first, I didn’t think the sandwich would be as good as it was because you know when things on social media get passed around, people tend to over-exaggerate it. 

If I were to recommend either sandwich to anyone I would most likely recommend the Chick-fil-A sandwich. Although I did really enjoy the Popeye’s sandwich, Chick-fil-A has always been a more consistent restaurant. I asked some of my friends which sandwich they would rather try and they all said the Chick-fil-A sandwich.

As we discussed the chicken debate, my friend Diana said, “Popeye’s is only more popular than Chick-fil-A because they have a new product, but they were not always as popular before the sandwich was introduced.” I agree with her because it is not guaranteed that Popeye’s will have this sandwich forever whereas Chick-fil-A never had to put anything new on the market to become popular. As mentioned before, they’ve always been a higher quality restaurant. 

All in all, I’d recommend giving the sandwich a try just because we do not know how much longer Popeye’s will have it available.