Bomb Threats Target Black Colleges During Black History Month

Photo Credit: Pixabay

Simone Chery, OwlFeed Lifestyle Reporter

Hatred and opposition are unfortunately an issue the black community often faces in society. Though not the only group that encounters racial injustice in the U.S., let’s draw attention to the black community and the spike in bigotry during the famous 28 days celebrated wholeheartedly: Black History Month.

With terrifying occurrences across the country, many have discerned the unusual instances that reveal the racism rooted in America.

One of those unusual cases involves the threatening of more than twelve Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) all over the nation, enkindling a fear among the students, teachers, their families, law enforcement, and the black community hearing these threats.

These dozen historically Black colleges have received these threats on the first day of Black History Month, February 1, 2022. One of the most prestigious Black colleges, Howard University of Washington D.C., was one of the colleges that received a bomb threat stringing in even more of the attention in the District of Columbia. 

Howard wasn’t alone in receiving threats, unfortunately. Some additional schools receiving threats included the University of the District of Columbia, also in Washington, D.C., Morgan State University and Coppin State University in Baltimore, Fort Valley State University in Fort Valley, and many more, according to NBC News.

A shelter-in-place order was made and everyone on campus was ordered to follow. “An all-clear was later issued for Howard following a probe,” according to NBC News.

President David K. Wilson of Morgan University, an HBCU in Maryland, had something to say about the bomb threats and made a statement to the community members. 

“Morgan is one of the most historical and consequential universities in the nation,” he said, according to NBC News. “Our history has been one where we have endured all kinds of challenges and disruptions, but we have always emerged stronger.” 

The black community has a strength that is powerful in Morgan University and with the values that they teach: “Leadership, Integrity, Innovation, Diversity, Excellence, and Respect.” Wilson’s statement to NBC News strongly declares that hatred is most definitely not one of them.

In the NBC News article on the threats, they proceed with the investigation and place the student’s and faculty’s safety as the top priority.

Alongside dangerous threats to the Black colleges, certain cultures in the Black communities have been made a mockery.

The sorority Omega Zeta Pi from the Southern Connecticut State University (SCSU) has been suspended for a mocking video of the dances and traditions of the Divine Nine sororities, Zeta Phi Beta, a Black sorority.

The video mocking Zeta Phi Beta was released on different platforms of social media including TikTok. Being that the rituals and dances from the Black Sorority are significant to their culture, they were suspended immediately and their actions were looked down upon.

Khalil Greene, who is prominent in creating and posting educational videos, has spoken up about the situation.

“For anyone who doesn’t know, what those white women were mocking is called a stroll, which is a group performance routine created by members of the Divine Nine to represent their respective organization,” said Greene, according to the Independent. For more context, the Divine Nine are a synergetic umbrella council made up of historically African-American fraternities and sororities.

Greene continued: “It’s literally the day before Black History Month so I can’t believe this happened.”

SCSU’s president  Joe Bertolino made a statement on the mocking video and his sincere apologies for the actions of his students.

“I have the greatest respect for Zeta Phi Beta, Inc.’s heritage and traditions and am deeply concerned about the pain that this incident has caused…” said Bertolino in the Independent article. “My administration will advance the immediate and systemic changes needed to better support and protect students of color on our campus and rebuild the lines of trust.” 

With the situation under control, people wonder if these videos and mockery happen often around campuses and specifically towards the Black community.

These instances reveal the hate the black community receives even more than usual on a month of celebrating Black achievements, history, and loving one’s self. Hopefully bringing awareness to those who don’t know about the significance of this month can get some insight into the bad that tries to poison the beauty of Black History Month and understand the importance of this annual celebration.