Photo credit: Isabella Myrmel
Aaron Esquer

New to the high school environment, Aaron Esquer’s first year here at Agua Fria is quite an experience and a huge change for this freshman. From being online in middle school to now finally learning...

Photo credit: Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Here at Agua Fria, there are many types of students with so much to say. But rather than focusing on one person, let’s focus on first-year student Gavin Sanchez. As a fellow Agua Fria High School...

86 °
    84 °
    82 °
    80 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    77 °
    79 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    88 °
    88 °
    88 °
    86 °
88°/ 66°
89°/ 67°
90°/ 68°
82°/ 64°
82°/ 57°
87°/ 62°

Draymond Green Puts Fellow Player in Headlock, Suspended 5 Games

getty+images.com
AP
getty images.com

Golden State Warriors star forward Draymond Green let his emotions get the better of him when he decided to put on his best John Cena impression last Tuesday night in a contest against the Minnesota Timberwolves by putting opposing center Rudy Gobert in a wrestling-style headlock.

The altercation took place only 2 minutes into the contest, when things started getting physical between All-Star guard Klay Thompson and opposing player Jaden McDaniels, which was really the fuel that lit the flame for what took place immediately after. It began with Thompson and McDaniels getting into a shoving match that took place near midcourt, which also resulted in Thompson’s jersey to get ripped in the process. Timberwolves’ Rudy Gobert attempts to break up the altercation and proceeds to get in the middle of the two, grabbing hold of Thompson’s neck as well. Draymond Green seemed to not take a liking to how Gobert was handling his teammate, and proceeded to pull him away with his arm behind Gobert’s neck. Jaden McDaniels, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green were all ejected from last Tuesday’s contest.

Postgame, Golden State Warriors head coach Steve Kerr states that McDaniel’s completely instigated the whole situation, continued to pull on Thompson’s jersey,  and that Klay should not have been ejected alongside him. The scuffle initially began after the two attempted to go in for a rebound, when McDaniels claimed that Klay grabbed ahold of him by the collar, which is what set him off. McDaniel’s claims to just have been defending himself in this situation.

Rudy Gobert was also asked about the brawl. He states he had no intentions of adding onto the fight, knowing he has to be in the game and help his team win, and attempted to simply break up the matter. Officials did not eject Gobert because he was considered the “Peacemaker”, and did not have bad intentions. 

Minnesota Coach Chris Finch agreed with the decisions made that night, and did not hold bias towards Jaden McDaniels and instead held him accountable for his actions. 

Klay Thompson, nor McDaniels, faced punishment following last Tuesday’s scuffle. Draymond Green however, faces a 5 game suspension for his role in the altercation. Green had no business being a part of the situation, and instead forced his way into it.