56 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    59 °
    62 °
    65 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
79°/ 54°
85°/ 60°
90°/ 66°
91°/ 67°
89°/ 67°
89°/ 66°

Just A Passion Project?

Zoe Perez

A comforting game is something that people go to when they want to escape reality. That comfort game can be important to many people, where they can reflect on themselves or just enter a whole other reality. Roblox is a platform game with thousands of different games to choose from! It excites people to be able to have options to play with their friends since it is worldwide, Royal High, in particular, has stood out to the players as a very girly game. People use this to escape reality and dive right into this princess fairy world, but did 2024 bring it down?

Royal High consists of princesses and fairies with magical powers, people can farm for diamonds in order to purchase different outfits and accessories, and over time people have noticed that Royal High could be more beginner-friendly, the prices are super high, and takes forever to obtain diamonds. New players start with 50 diamonds when a skirt or corset can cost over 20k. February of 2024 has been a mess for this game, one of Royal highs developers, “Callmehhaley” had their badge taken off the game for speaking publicly and having an opinion on how “Barbie” (Royal High creator) could do better updating the game and make it interesting, people have been offended by this and claim that barbie can’t take constructive criticism. The Royal High community is falling apart. Many are against the fall down and say that the players will be back as soon as a new update drops. This may be true and we’ve seen it before, last February of 2022, the timing was off when the new items were supposed to drop and all layers collectively left, but as soon as the new valentines Day set dropped, everyone was back to buy it, but is it going to be the same this time? 

When people look at a popular game, many times they don’t care for what happens in the background, they are too interested in the game. However, when you are a creator of a popular game you have a responsibility, it’s a job, you earn money from it and people buy passes for the game, this is what’s tricking people currently. The fact that Barbie does not care about the community, she doesn’t owe anyone anything because it’s her “passion project” and people can argue that. For example, @kaivicii shows an image of Beaplays (community Royal High manager) saying “I’m sorry but I don’t think she cares?”, where Kaivicii then says, “Bea was right….not because this is a passion project, she doesn’t care because she has made a fortune out of this game”. That is true, Royal High as a community GAVE her millions of dollars, where she doesn’t owe us anything, a creator that doesn’t listen to its community is the worst of all. People are waiting for the day when a video shows us the rise and downfall of the Royal High, it could be any time from days from now to years from now.

Many players have then moved to different games as a “boycott” towards this game in hopes Barbie will listen, games like “Astro Renaissance” and “Dress To Impress” so could a downfall of one game lead to the rise of others?

Dress To Impress (Zoe Perez)
Royal High statistics after the downfall. (Zoe Perez)

Statistics show that 100k+ people would be playing the game continuously, but now only 11k are active for frequent amounts of time.

Astro Renaissance’s Statistics after the Royal High Fall down (Zoe Perez)

The “Astro Renaissance” player count has increased from the low of 86 players to currently 3k players! A game so similar to Royal High but so much more at the same time. It shows culture and shows so many new updates depending on the season.

Royal High should sell their game to a better company, it has happened to other games before and it has turned out great, just like a popular game “Bloxburg” was sold, and now so much more entertaining and engaging. This leads many to think, “Then why can’t it be the same this time?” I don’t believe Barbie will sell the game, mostly because of the millions it’s making her, but how can she make millions of dollars with a boring game nobody wants to play? That’s for the community to decide, though barbie has recently apologized and stated she’s going to rehire a new team, she might be doing this out of greed. It is not worth keeping a game with such potential when you want to help spark the potential it has.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Zoe Perez
Zoe Perez, Opinion Editor
If there's a person who you want to talk to about colleges and academics, then Zoe Perez is the right person for you! Interviewing and writing about Zoe Perez was an honor because of how straightforward and educated her answers were.  Zoe is a 15-year-old sophomore and she will be the Opinion Editor, Media Editor, Opinion Columnist, and Treasurer for this second year of her journalism journey. Last year, she was only an opinion writer. June 22, 2008, is her birthday meaning she has the zodiac sign of cancer.  She is the type of person who is going to be honest with you even if it means telling you what you may be doing wrong, despite that she describes herself as a very social person, she says “I am the type of person who is social and would come up to you to ask for your Instagram if I see you from afar and decide that if you seem friendly.”  She mentioned that she enjoys talking and giving advice about colleges, medical schools, or how to write an article while also wanting to help those students who need help with any classes in between Honors to AP. Zoe spoke about wanting to live in Washington D.C. after high school because Washington has the best medical school that she could think of. She says “ What motivates me to work hard is myself because I believe that even though taking Honors and AP classes may be hard, It will all be worth it when I become a radiologist, technician, or an Anesthesiologist”. Zoe Perez has an understanding of what she wants to be doing with her life. Zoe is very passionate about writing which brought her to be in journalism. She stated that she loved to inform people about what was going on, seeing different opinions, while giving people a fast and easy answer. Her love for journalism has brought her to meet new people and to be more active in the community when writing stories. She touched upon her interests like reading, writing, and psychology. Her favorite series book to read is called “A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” where she describes the story as a girl who opens a close case and along the way finds something captivating. She remarked about why she enjoys the book saying.”It takes all the characters' points of view and I am amused by a good murder mystery book.”  Zoe introduced her love for psychology and said that she was from Trevor Browne High School and found out that Agua Fria had psychology as a class and so on went to this school now. She said, “I am obsessed with psychology and basically wrote most of my articles based on psychology, so I am technically an opinion editor with a psychology theme.” All of these circumstances in her life have brought her to be the person she is. So if you ever need a person to talk about academics, psychology, or even books then Zoe Perez is the person you’re going to be looking for!!!

• I

isabella FuentesMar 7, 2024 at 10:08 am

zoaur

Reply