Photo credit: Evianna Wright
Evianna Wright

Evianna Wright is a 16 year old girl who was born on Feb 26, 2006. She is a sophomore in Agua Fria, and this is her second semester in Journalism.  Evianna enjoys writing things down and finds it calming...

Photo credit: Grads Photography
Darryl Taylor

Darryl Alexander Taylor is one of the most athletic and smart people in Journalism that most people can relate to. He originally joined Journalism as another writing class like English because he loves...

71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    64 °
    62 °
    61 °
    61 °
    61 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    74 °
    75 °
    75 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
84°/ 64°
76°/ 60°
73°/ 52°
83°/ 58°
89°/ 66°
90°/ 71°

Smartphones: Is It Damaging to Kids?

Little Boy On His Phone
Andi Graf, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons
Andi Graf
Little Boy On His Phone Andi Graf, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons

In a generation dominated by technology, smartphones have become one of the most commonly used devices throughout our daily lives. While they have many advantages, giving one to a child may not be the best for their physical and mental health. 

Over time, there have been many research studies that have emphasized how the amount of screen time can impact the physical and mental health of children. In the article Smartphones and Children: Are These Hazardous to Their Health, it states, “ This means that the more time that kids are on screen, the less time for interaction with adults, sleep, and opportunities to read and hold conversations; all crucial to child development.” 

It’s easy to throw a screen in front of a screaming child to distract them or keep them occupied but do we really understand how impactable with negative effects it has on children? Some of these negative effects include Sleep Disruption, Reduced Physical Activity, Social Isolation, Cyberbullying and Mental Health, Mental Challenges, as well as Attention and Concentration Issues.  All of these are a leading issue of harm from social media exposure causing anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, body image issues, and other mental health concerns. In the article Smartphones and Children: Are These Hazardous to Their Health, It is said that “ 52% of teens sit for long periods in silence, on their smartphones, while hanging out with friends” and “Rather than in-person interaction, 33% of teens spend more time socializing with close friends online.” Smartphones can affect our emotions, ability to focus and think clearly, and our emotional and social lives. Continuous notifications and an overload of digital stimulation are linked to attention deficits as well as reduced concentration. Kids who prefer to spend more time on their phones than books are also distracted from their academics and athletics. This may impact academic achievement and general cognitive abilities. However,  It’s necessary to remember that individual factors such as age, usage range, and the type of content accessed, may have a major effect on them because of this, they might be encouraged to engage in behavior that is extremely inappropriate and potentially dangerous. Encouraging open communication and setting boundaries can be effective strategies to help make children and young people aware of the positive and negative effects of using mobile phones. seeking professional help may be helpful if there are any concerns about a child’s mental health due to smartphones.