The 2023 Covenant Elementary School Shooting

OSV News photo/Reuters

Photo credit: Mark Zaleski

Anthony Mimoso, OwlFeed News Reporter

On March 27, 2023, what is deemed to be an apparent targeted attack took place at the Covenant Elementary school, a private Christian School in Nashville, Tennessee. It has been confirmed a total of 6 individuals died at the scene: 3 adults and 3 children. This event marks the 130th mass shooting of 2023. It has only been ninety days since the year began.

It was a warm Monday morning in Green Hills, Nashville, Tennessee, when tragedy struck so early in the day. 28 year old Audrey Hale, a former student of the aforementioned school, arrived in a silver Honda Fit at around 9:50am. About 20 minutes later, Hale shot through the glass front doors and immediately began to open fire. Surveillance footage shows Hale scoping around the hallways, surveying the scene for victims. Almost instantly, officers were called to the scene. Police arrived at the school about 10 minutes later, but the damage was already done. Two officers entered the building and started to approach Hale. Hale was reported down once the officers engaged her. Promptly after, Audrey Hale was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Audrey Hale was a 28 year old self identifying transgender hailing from Nashville, Tennessee, and only received her fame for the malicious crime she committed. Friends and family described Hale as quiet and sweet, but never imagined she would do anything of this manner. Apparently, Audrey had been planning to terrorize her former school grounds for a while, and finally followed through with her intentions on Monday, March 27th. Chilling evidence shows that Hale sent messages to a close friend just minutes before committing the crime. Audrey proceeded to state in her Instagram messages, “I’m planning to die today… THIS IS NOT A JOKE!!!!”, as well as, “You’ll probably hear about me on the news after I die… This is my final goodbye… I love you, see you again in another life”. The events taking place shortly after those messages were sent would proceed to mark Audrey Hale as the 7th female mass shooter in US history.

Authorities identified the 6 victims shortly after the whole scene unfolded. 3 adults and 3 students were the confirmed bunch by law enforcement. Cynthia Peak, Katherine Koonce, Mike Hill, were the three adults taken in the devilish incident. Peak, age 61, was a substitute teacher at the school. Mike Hill, age 61, was a custodian at the school, and will be remembered as a kind, caring man and father, often cracking jokes with the students and always showing love for his 7 kids. Katherine Koonce, age 60, was the principal of Covenant Elementary. She will be remembered for possessing such a strong power of kindness, as well as living to love and encourage every student, parent, colleague, and human being. But above all, she will undoubtedly be remembered as a hero. Koonce was in the middle of a board meeting when the shooting took place. Koonce abruptly ended the meeting, and headed straight towards the perpetrator. Koonce ultimately died attempting to confront the shooter. The three students whose lives were cut short were Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs, and William Kinney. All three children were only age 9. NO parent should have to worry about their child’s safety while at school. They send their kids to school to live, learn, and have fun and be able to come back home to tell about their day. They shouldn’t have to anticipate events like this.