77 °
    80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    88 °
    88 °
    87 °
    85 °
    83 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    75 °
88°/ 68°
88°/ 66°
90°/ 67°
92°/ 70°
Overcast
82°/ 65°
79°/ 54°

Going Dark

Photo Credit: Noah Booras

A new season of college football is back, so that means all the traditions are as well! The specific tradition we will be focusing on today will be the annual Arizona State Black Out Football Game. This yearly tradition for the school began back in 2011, in a game against Missouri, in which they beat the Tigers by a score of 37-30 in overtime. This tradition is big for the football club, as well as the school. It is notoriously known as the game ASU likes to generally come out and play their hardest.

This year in the Valley of the Sun,  ASU took on a tough Oklahoma State team at Mountain America Stadium. ASU fans went into the game with high hopes, expecting their beloved team to come out looking sharp. With this game being such a big part of ASU tradition, they wanted to show out. The game began at 7:30 p.m., with a 112-degree temperature at kickoff. “We didn’t really know our team. I didn’t know our team, playing on the road… I haven’t really been to war on the road with these guys.”, is what Oklahoma State Head Coach Mike Gundy had to say about how he plans to take on this game.

As the game began, ASU’s defense got off to a hot start, shutting out Oklahoma’s offense throughout the first quarter. ASU could not get anywhere on their first drive and was ultimately shut down by the Cowboy defense. Things changed on ASU’s second drive where they got all the way downfield, allowing running back Cam Skattebo to take the ball in the wildcat formation and score the first touchdown of the night. Oklahoma State immediately answered back with a 2-yard touchdown run by Ollie Gordon to tie up the game at 7-7. ASU’s offense trotted back onto the field, immediately picking up where they left off, with a 65-yard bomb, receiver Elijah Badger for the touchdown. Oklahoma managed to get a field goal before the half, however, ASU maintained their lead at 15-10.

The second half of play came up all Oklahoma State, having scored a touchdown right out of the gate to begin the third quarter. ASU could not seem to get a drive going at all, however. The lack of offensive momentum led to the defense allowing another Oklahoma State field goal, putting the Cowboys up 17-15. Oklahoma kept this pace going into the fourth, kicking yet another field goal and scoring one last touchdown to seal the game at 27-15 Cowboys. ASU went on to being shut out the entire second half.

“We can’t be in 14 and a team is in a 3-3-5 structure and not be able to run the ball on fourth-and-1. So, I think we have to be more creative offensively as a staff. If we’re not winning that, then I got to find an alternative route to be successful in those situations”, is what ASU’s head coach Kenny Dillingham had to say on ASU’s offensive struggles.

Ultimately, the game didn’t fall ASU’s way. But the overall energy from fans, as well as the team, was still high. Win or lose, the Sun Devil fans were happy to see their team out on the field playing hard.