72 °
    75 °
    77 °
    80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    88 °
    88 °
    87 °
    85 °
    83 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    71 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    68 °
    70 °
88°/ 68°
88°/ 66°
90°/ 67°
92°/ 70°
Overcast
82°/ 65°
79°/ 54°

Agua Fria vs Thunderbird

Photo Credit: Aaliyah Villela

Agua Fria has always been known for its motto, “Honor first win or lose”.This has been constantly shown throughout the season, and this game was no exception. The volleyball team always comes through with the school spirit regardless, especially the Varsity team.

Win or lose, we always have good sportsmanship regardless. 

During the first 10 minutes of the first set, Thunderbird was up. The girls kept the ball up for a good amount of time as the set went along. The team had great communication throughout the game making it easy for them to get the ball over the net. As the first set continued, the girls kept their fight up. The first set ended with. Once the set ended, the Owls huddled up to communicate their play for the 2nd set. 

The second set has begun, and what a difference there was compared to the first. Coach Jenn had a pep talk with her squad, and what was said was definitely shown. At the beginning of the second set, Agua Fria had the advantage, scoring nice spikes and hits over Thunderbird. During this set, the communication was amazing and allowed so much more time for the ball to be up. Midway through the second half, the girls called a timeout to recoup and refocus. Once halftime was over, the girls got their heads back in the game and kept the game going strong. Macklyn was diving throughout the game, saving passes left and right and keeping up the ball.  

The last and final set was an intense finale. Although the other two sets weren’t their best, the Lady Ows kept their spirits up. The final set started off with a bang, having great communication and sportsmanship all throughout the first half. The Lady Owls called their second time out of the game and began to strategize in order to play to their fullest extent. The girls played their hardest through all 3 sets. Unfortunately, they didn’t win this game, but we interviewed a couple of players post-game to get a better understanding of their mindset.

Interviewing #9, Keyonna Charleston, after the game: “ My team played really well” she says. “They hosted a lot, they did good, their energy was there”. The girls kept their energy up very well throughout the game which is something you need to keep motivation and spirits up. Continuing the interview with Keyonna, she states “ We can just keep going to tournaments, practicing as a team and also keep our heads up because we are playing schools that are not in our region”  

The final interview was #4, Tami. She covers some of the same points as Keyonna. When asked how she overall feels about her personal playing time, she states “Keeping my energy up and composing myself more. The tension throughout the game was present and you could feel it. Concluding the interview, Tami expresses “As a team, we need to stop dwelling on the last play and just focus on winning our next set.  And when we have a lead we need to keep it” 

Overall, the girls played amazingly and kept high spirits and energy constantly throughout the game. Although we didn’t take the win, Agua Fria continues to have good sportsmanship and stay true to our school motto.