82 °
    80 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    77 °
    79 °
    81 °
    84 °
    86 °
    88 °
    89 °
    89 °
    89 °
    87 °
    85 °
    82 °
89°/ 68°
90°/ 67°
81°/ 64°
83°/ 58°
88°/ 63°
88°/ 65°

The Wrongs in TV-Y

Credit%3A+deviantart.com
Credit: deviantart.com

TV-Y is a type of rating system that indicates that the program is for children of all ages. Television has always brought us a lot of joy and entertainment no matter how old we are, but when we are children we tend to bypass or just neglect some things. All for the sake of being funny or simply entertaining. But sometimes the themes, and actions are not family-friendly. Usually, touching topics like manipulation, murder, and even depression are not for kids of age below ten.

In the show The Owl House, there is a character called Hunter. Hunter is a young teenage boy who is shown as a loyal guard towards his uncle Belos, never leaving his side or doubting him. However, their relationship seems to shift as season two goes on. We as viewers get to see a side of Belos that Hunter does not. Inferencing more each time that Belos might be manipulating him. Manipulation is confirmed in season two episode sixteen, “Hollow Mind”.

Credit: rawpixel.com

In the show Amphibia, Marcy is a teenage girl who from a children’s point of view is fun and silly! Marcy was so enjoyable that it was overwhelming for kids to see her betray her friends, and then be stabbed on the season two finale. To just come back as Dark Marcy, which is referred to as Darcy. At the end of season 3 Darcy is shown trying to commit mass murder.  Something that should not be shown on a kid’s cartoon show.

The Owl House has more examples of things that should not be shown to kids. This includes the lowest state a person could be in, depression. Depression is a sensitive topic to touch, even more, so when the viewers of the show are kids. Even though the show does such a good job of disguising it, it is clear what the intentions were. In season three, episode one “Thanks to Them” there is a scene where Luz mentions some very negative comments which could easily be inferred that she was talking about herself, so throughout the season those same comments are reflected.

All of these shows are supposed to be targeting a young audience. However, as the stories went on they allowed themselves to dig into more dark concepts. This is by no means a good idea considering kids are the ones that are watching and are also the most influenceable of the house. If cartoons directed towards infants continue showing these kinds of material, they will normalize it making it worse than what it is already.