56 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    59 °
    62 °
    65 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
79°/ 54°
85°/ 60°
90°/ 66°
91°/ 67°
89°/ 67°
89°/ 66°

Vermont in Shock

Photo Credit: rawpixel.com / Carol M Highsmith

With the world in chaos, Vermont isn’t any different. 

On November 25th, Thanksgiving day, a day filled with gratitude and joy, three college students were shot. In Burlington, Vermont, three Palestinian college students were shot on their way to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal. According to one of the students, they were walking, conversing among themselves when a white male approached them, not speaking, and shot them. 

The following Saturday, the Burlington police force arrested Jason J. Eaton, a 48-year-old male reported to live near the crime scene. While searching Eaton’s apartment, federal agents found a shotgun hidden within the home, official analysis of the gun has yet to be announced to the public. Eaton was reported to live close to the crime scene and while the official motive of the crime is still unknown, many suspect the race of the students plays a key role. Hisham Awartani, Kihnan Abdalhamid, and Tahseen Ahmed were the three students shot in Thursday’s incident and all are Palestinian. With tensions high overseas, so much of the conflict has spread into the United States. The United States has seen a rise in prejudice against people of Jewish, Arabian, and Muslim descent and communities. The young men, in police reports, were rumored to have been speaking Arabic as they walked on November 25th, the night of the incident. It was also reported that two of these men had been wearing traditional Keffiyehs, traditional Arabian headdresses. Although the students attended prestigious universities, two of the students are residents, and one of them is a legal citizen. Despite this knowledge, without any confirmation from Eaton, police and federal officials are unsure of the motives of this crime.

Even more baffling than the motive of this crime, is Eaton himself. Since being arrested, Eaton has not spoken, only speaking through his lawyers. In court, Jason Eaton pleaded not guilty, through his attorney and only spoke to confirm his identity, for all three accounts of attempted murder. Since the trial, Eaton was condemned to be held without bail. His silence has been taken with great suspicion as it has been linked to the crime itself. In the hospital, after regaining consciousness, one of the victims claimed that when they were attacked Eaton did not say a single word. All reports say that a white man approached them with a handgun, unspeaking, and committed the crime. 

This crime has uprooted the Vermont area and caused fear and shock.

View Comments (1)
About the Contributor
Caroline Martin
Caroline Martin, News Reporter
Driven, intelligent, passionate, and artistic are only a few words to describe Caroline Martin, a senior at Agua Fria High School and a News Reporter as part of the Owl Newsfeed Staff. Caroline is  17 years old, born November 15th, 2005. She has been attending Agua Fria all four years. Her favorite memories made at Agua Fria have been from being around teachers and peers as well as having a great homecoming week. Caroline has a lot of gratitude for Mr.Martin because he was her AP World  History  Teacher sophomore year. She is close with him, and the table group she was placed with. Caroline was able to confide in  Mr.Martin considering he is also her badminton coach. Caroline mentioned overall he has improved her high school experience. Speaking of Badminton; Caroline is in the first year on the exhibition team. She exclaimed that so far her favorite thing about being on the team is seeing her friend's excitement and how well they are doing. Caroline mentioned how proud she is of them. Before joining badminton,  Martin contributed heavily to the theater program at Agua Fria from freshman through Junior year. Caroline has been in multiple plays. Freshman year she played in  “Please Excuse My Zombies ” as the main character Casandra Casandra  Sophomore year she played “Little Shop of Horrors” as Miss Mushnik. Most recently she played  in “Almost Maine”  Junior year as the character Glory.  Last year she was going to play  Sandy from “Greece”  but this was canceled a week before opening night. One difficult thing about theater Caroline mentioned was that there is a great deal to remember. Various different roles play a part. A lot of behind-the-scenes things go into theater and that can cause some reluctance in students that did not entirely know what they were signing up for. Caroline ended up having to choose between badminton and theater regarding which one she wanted to pursue in her final year of high school. She mentioned that the difficulty in choosing was rather mild. In the process of figuring out who she is, the decision was made. She figured trying out a new sport would help with that. Her friends involvement also played a part in her decision, as they encouraged her to join. Though Caroline has been going to Agua Fria all four years she hasn't always lived here in Arizona. She was born here, moved to  New Mexico, then came back to Arizona. After that, she moved to Mississippi, Tennessee then finally back to Arizona. Caroline explained the reason she moved around so much was because her parents married rather young. They traveled a lot due to college and then job-oriented travel. Mostly moving around supporting the families' education, that includes Caroline and her younger brothers. Caroline has great memories of Mississippi when she was an only child, specifically memories of Christmas.  Martin's academic goal for herself is to remain well-prepared and do all that she can. Both of her parents have been employed in the education field, so education is very valuable in her family culture. When she was much younger her passions differed a little from what she likes now. Caroline loved princesses and when she was younger she had a cousin so she participated in (what?) that but didn't excel. So she ended up branching out and trying new things. What Martin wants to do fluctuates depending on what she is learning at the time or what intrigues her. Right now she'd like to know more, she says “before she settles down”. When questioned about how Caroline handles stress she mentioned that she tries to vent whether it's out loud, to herself. She also paints when she is tense. Her family handles stress differently. She exclaimed that they each have diverse personalities, they all have different creative outlets to deal with things, and they all find a way to regroup thoughts and emotions to limit stress. When asked what advice she has for underclassmen as a senior Caroline passionately responded “High school is only as scary as you make it.. those moments and activities, those are gonna be the highlights if you make them”.Martin is excited about graduation she says “The older you get the more ready you feel..but it also feels so short at the same time” There are some peers here at Agua Fria she's had classes with since middle school. Caroline is such an exceptional and well-rounded part of our Agua Fria Owl Newsfeed staff and our school community.

• A

adviserDec 18, 2023 at 2:33 pm

AMAZING!!

Reply