58 °
    56 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    59 °
    62 °
    65 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    66 °
    64 °
79°/ 55°
85°/ 60°
90°/ 65°
91°/ 66°
86°/ 67°
85°/ 63°

Agua Fria vs Yuma

Photo Credit: Aliday Cardenas

The owls have always been exceptional when it comes to playing their hardest. The lady owls basketball team proved that with this game. 

This was the Owl’s first game of the season and they had an amazing game. Their rivals for this first game were the Yuma Knights coming to play from Yuma Union High School. While announcing the starters, the owls came into the game with a very clear intention. To win. Announcing the rivals, the Knights came to play and made great competitors for today’s game. 

Owls start with the ball and have great control over it. As the owls take control they use a lot of communication as well as passing the ball. Using their good techniques, they score the first point! Karla Mendez, #10 scored the first layup of the game giving the Owls the starting advantage. As the game progressed, the Yuma Knights got a foul. This is the first foul of the game going over to the Knights. As the 1st quarter came to a close the Yuma Knights were now holding 5 fouls. The final score for the first quarter was 18-6, with Agua Fria taking the lead!

While the game continued the lady owls were showing great defense throughout the game. The Yuma Knights came to win and showed that on the court. The lady owls stayed focused on communicating and putting their training to use. As the second quarter was coming to an end, the lady owls still had the home advantage! During halftime, the owls went into the locker room to regroup and discuss strategy and how they wanted to approach the last two quarters. During the time in the locker room, we had gotten an amazing performance from the pom team always killing it! 

As we headed into the 3rd quarter, a new energy entered the court. The lady owls were already flocked in when they first started playing, but this new energy they brought after halftime was different. Their spirits were up and they were ready to bring it home. They kept up their energy as well as having amazing defense. The girls were switching, allowing some other people to get some playtime. The rotation of girls kept the Knights on their toes. 

The Owls head into the last and final quarter with a huge advantage. They ended the quarter strong but winded. The girls ended with a score of 61-27! The Owls took their first game home for a win and deserved that. They have been working hard putting in lots of training on and off the court! Like Agua Fria always says, win or lose honor first!