Photo credit: Ms. Fowler

Introverted, Gamer, and Lazy. These are three words David Reynaga used to describe himself. Coming from Los Angeles, California, 16 year old David is now a junior who has just recently arrived at Agua...

56 °
    55 °
    56 °
    57 °
    59 °
    62 °
    65 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    77 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    68 °
    66 °
    64 °
    62 °
79°/ 54°
85°/ 60°
90°/ 66°
91°/ 67°
89°/ 67°
89°/ 66°

Classroom Spotlights: AP Human Geography & AP Physics 1

Agua Fria Classroom Spotlights
Jazzlyn Romero
Agua Fria Classroom Spotlights

Are you a freshman, sophomore, or junior attending Agua Fria High School? Do you need to fulfill an elective or science credit for next year’s schedule to satisfy your graduation requirements? Well, at Agua Fria High School, there is an array of courses that can prepare you for your future academic aspirations. Whether that be in the Social Science or STEM field, AP Courses can get you feeling more prepared for the future. These courses are designed to help students get accustomed to rigorous college-level classes. Two of the most rewarding AP Courses at Agua Fria are AP Human Geography taught by Ms. Mauritz and AP Physics I taught by Ms. Boscarino. We are going to take an overview of these courses, taught by these amazing teachers, and evaluate the perks of being enrolled in them.

AP Human Geography is instructed by Ms. Mauritz, also a United States history teacher here at Agua Fria. This course covers the connections between humans plus their civilizations with their environment and how that leads to the unique cultural developments we have on this Earth. It heightens one’s understanding of geographical concepts that engulf the environment around us, improving our appreciation for human development. Ms. Mauritz adds so much flair to this course, making it an essential introductory class to take as an AP student. I am currently enrolled in her class as a senior, but I have already seen the benefits the underclassmen have reaped while taking this course. Ms. Mauritz makes it easy to grasp difficult concepts and vocabulary with direct instruction and elaborative review games, and if you have the honor of taking the class, your face might be included in her concept slides. A student is surely to gain deep critical skills while analyzing geographical terms and concepts, skills that can be utilized in other AP courses.

AP Physics I is taught by Mrs. Boscarino, who also specializes in the honors and regular Physics classes at Agua Fria. This course is focused on accelerating students’ knowledge of the laws of motion and electricity, all while incorporating vital mathematical concepts. According to the 2023 passing rate for the AP exam, AP Physics is one of the most difficult courses one can take. That being said, Mrs. Boscarino’s instruction and organization make students more easily comprehend and memorize complex material to prepare them for their AP exam better. Mrs. Boscarino applies the concepts of Physics in the labs that the students execute. A notable lab they performed was the egg drop, to test the momentum and impact of the egg hitting the ground, and whether or not something could alter the egg from cracking. AP Physics I with Mrs. Boscarino is so much more memorizing than F=ma, but incorporating these mathematical procedures with the daily occurrences of life with provable evidence.  

AP Human Geography and AP Physics I are inquisitive classes that students at Agua Fria have the benefit of taking. These two courses, instructed by lovely individuals, are made to develop a student’s analytical and explanatory skills while engaging them in collaborative work. Take advantage of every opportunity presented to you, even the educational ones. Challenge yourself and embrace your journey here at Agua Fria, take these wonderful classes!