81 °
    83 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    88 °
    88 °
    86 °
    84 °
    82 °
    81 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    70 °
    73 °
    75 °
    78 °
    81 °
    83 °
89°/ 66°
91°/ 67°
89°/ 67°
88°/ 67°
92°/ 69°
90°/ 68°

Let’s Welcome Women’s History Month

History of Women 『写真近代女性史』1953年12月10日。発行所:創元社。, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

With Women’s History Month previously being a local celebration in the state of California, we would like to honor this honorable month to the women and girls who have accomplished many achievements and have made history over the years. March is a month that is dedicated to women who have achieved various achievements, challenges, or any other struggles there were during history.

When was women’s history considered an annual recognition? Women’s History was just a one-week celebration back in 1978 in Santa Rosa, California. Several women’s groups took part in this celebration and started celebrating more and more as time went by. A big party was held in 1917 for Women’s History Month. This was in fact during World War 1 where women did not have the opportunity or rights to vote around those times. 

Several people, including women, decided to take action in the places where women did not have the right to vote and that is where World War 1 took more action into this act. As we go more in detail with the history behind women from back in the day, women only had the option to stay and home. During this time, it was very sad and vulnerable to be a woman since there wasn’t any type of opportunity to be something you wanted to become. There was no education offered for women, the husband had all the right to own property, women would get beat by their husband and no justice would be done.

Pacific Celebrations
NAVFAC, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Back to the importance of Women’s History Month, so many people worldwide are now celebrating this month, there are events, parties, and so much more other activities that are there to honor this important month.   Although all people around the world tend to celebrate Women’s History Month, other countries celebrate this recognition in other months.  For example, in Canada, women’s History Month is celebrated in October during the fall season and South Africa celebrates during August. 

This month can mean a lot to many women worldwide since so many women have different histories or experiences with their lives. Some women have suffered betrayal, and some women have been through bad mental, physical, or emotional abuse by loved ones or even by their partners, or have gone through. 

I did get to interview two of my friends and ask them about their thoughts and opinions on Women’s History Month. The first question is on how they feel about Women’s History Month being so common compared to back then, my friend Patricia did say “ I think it’s good for our community now because our life is so much better than what it used to be, being a woman.” “ We shouldn’t have to have just one month dedicated to us women, I feel like this should be celebrated every day,” I ask her if Women’s History Month should be celebrated more often. I also asked her if abuse of women is still as common as how it used to be. Patricia said, “ Abuse with women and what they go through is still common all over the place, but just not as common as how it used to be.” Overall, women’s History Month is a beautiful and honorable feeling for women from all across the world. I was filled with joy, achievements, challenges, recognition, struggles, laughter, and resilience.