Photo credit: Carolina Garcia
Carolina Garcia

Carolina Garica is a 15-year-old freshman who is a first year opinion reporter at Owl Feed! She was born on January 17th, 2008. Carolina had first joined journalism because she likes to write. She enjoys...

Photo credit: Mushroom Ritchie
Mushroom Ritchie

Mushroom Ritchie, a 15 year old sophomore in high school who has a love for drawing, video games, and anime. Her favorite thing to draw is animals, and mostly plays Roblox, Minecraft, and Omori. Some of...

105 °
    107 °
    108 °
    108 °
    106 °
    104 °
    101 °
    98 °
    95 °
    93 °
    91 °
    91 °
    90 °
    89 °
    88 °
    87 °
    88 °
    90 °
    92 °
    95 °
    97 °
    100 °
    103 °
    105 °
    107 °
July 17
109°/ 85°
July 18
109°/ 86°
July 19
111°/ 87°
July 20
111°/ 87°
July 21
108°/ 88°
July 22
107°/ 85°

MARINA: She Did It All

Marina Diamandis performing in Nashville on 1 March 2022
Seanbworth, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Seanbworth
Marina Diamandis performing in Nashville on 1 March 2022 Seanbworth, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Have you ever heard of a singer with such significant songs? No, I’m not talking about Mitski, Lana Del Rey, or Laufey, there are so many amazing people but it’s time for people to hear about MARINA formally known as “Marina and the Diamonds”, who has been a singer for a while now and her songs are very inspirational to many people. The type of person that communicates to you with lyrics and tunes, matching the vibe of the songs to the tone of her lyrics to create either a sad or relatable mood.

One of her hit singles “Primadonna” gave off very mean girl vibes but overall the song took over her career in 2012 with 128M views and had its 12th anniversary on March 12, 2024. This song talks about wanting to be admired, Like they say, ‘You only hate in others what you hate in yourself’, so I thought I’d channel this well-known but kind of undesirable character type into a pop song” Marina says. The song also goes into how girls are viewed or view themselves, anything to get to the top, and in today’s terms this song can be seen as “pick me” behavior, but overall it is an amazing representation of a

Marina Diamandis performing in October 2019 at the Greek Theatre in LA.Justin Higuchi, CC BY 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons (Justin Higuchi)

really self-centered person. Not all the time is this bad though, one of the lyrics goes “You say that I’m kind of difficult but it’s someone else’s fault”, every girl has some of that in them. Mostly about wanting to be number one at not only everything but also FOR someone else.

One of the people’s favorites is also “Oh No!” this song alone is very significant and describes a lot of people in and out with her word choices. Being the fourth single of her debut album “The Family Jewels” (2010). This song has the most relatable lyrics, MARINA describes this song as her “response to being terrified of not achieving what I say I want to achieve every time I open my big mouth”, in this song she sets strict rules for herself saying she is “only after success” and talks about not getting into serious relationships or friendships until she gets to where she wants to be in life. Although these are realistic lyrics, MARINA does use the “fake it till you make it” idea. “I feel like I’m the worst, so I’ll always act like I’m the best”, looking at it from different POVs, it could say a lot of different things but personally this is her saying that because she always ACTS like the best, no one realizes she can be the worst. 

MARINA is mostly known for being a Welsh singer-songwriter, but for more people in GEN Z, it’s more about her relating to the struggles of being in this society. In songs like “Ancient Dreams In Modern Land,” she talks about humans and how we treat our society and environment. Of course, other songs are more toward wanting to fit in which goes to MARINA’s first album “The Family Jewels”, this album is what people would say started MARINA’s

Marina Diamandis at Ryman Auditorium, 01 March 2022Seanbworth, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons (Seanbworth)

career overall. The Family Jewels Album focuses more on how she feels about what people say. Every album she has released always shows up with a new vibe to give to the world.

That may be why the world loves her so much, she doesn’t stick to one topic or one theme.

MARINA has a creative mind with much to give, which is something that the world hasn’t seen as often. Sure, there have been a lot of different occasions where this has shown up but the world should focus on MARINA and give her the attention she deserves. So if you need to find anyone who suits those traits to be your next big artist, take a look at MARINA, she might relate more to you than you know.