Photo credit: Mushroom Ritchie
Mushroom Ritchie

Mushroom Ritchie, a 15 year old sophomore in high school who has a love for drawing, video games, and anime. Her favorite thing to draw is animals, and mostly plays Roblox, Minecraft, and Omori. Some of...

107 °
    108 °
    108 °
    106 °
    104 °
    101 °
    98 °
    95 °
    93 °
    91 °
    91 °
    90 °
    89 °
    88 °
    87 °
    88 °
    90 °
    92 °
    95 °
    97 °
    100 °
    103 °
    105 °
    107 °
    108 °
July 17
109°/ 85°
July 18
109°/ 86°
July 19
111°/ 87°
July 20
111°/ 87°
July 21
108°/ 88°
July 22
107°/ 85°

The Great Scarlet Evers

Ms. Kelly
Scarlet Evers with her friends

Just as the moon rises and stretches its sparkling luminescence over Earth’s surface, Scarlet Evers will as well as she enters the next stages of her life. With 12 years of school, Scarlet worked hard to become the person she is today with the help of friends, family, and mentors. As a senior at Agua Fria High School, she’s created some unique and memorable memories and friends that sprung joy in her life as well as others. “Committed, dreamer, and advocate,” are the words William Babyar would describe Scarlet. “She is there for those, she’s the voice for the voiceless, the one that wants to make sure that the others around her are heard.”

Pride and talent are just two of Scarlet’s many remarkable traits, elevating her character with natural artistry that captivates those around her. Encouraged by Babyar, who remarked, “You can be a director one day. You have that ability, you have that IT factor about you that says you can go far in this industry if this is what you want to do. You are special, you’re amazing,” 

Scarlet Evers in a dress

Scarlet embarked on a journey fueled by creativity, weaving her aspirations through film, writing, and voice. Although her initial dream of directing was rerouted into journalism, Scarlet found fulfillment in research, writing, and interviewing, paving a new path for herself

Reflecting on her high school years, Scarlet describes it as a ‘rollercoaster, surprising, and worthwhile’ journey. Despite facing stress and pressure, she persevered, guided by affirmations like “try my best, see what happens.”

Beyond personal achievements, Scarlet aspires to cultivate empathy and understanding for others, recognizing the importance of respect amidst life’s challenges. Described as attentive, big-hearted, and open-minded, Scarlet’s impact is evident in the words of her peers. Tony Martinez, her boyfriend, admires her beauty, uplifting spirit, and kindness, while her long time friend Hayley Battles praises her honesty, positivity, and infectious personality. “Scarlet is a very honest and open person and isn’t afraid to express herself in ways that make her feel comfortable. She has such a positive attitude that can bring so much joy into the room she is in. Her humor and personality clash perfectly, making her so much fun to be around.”

Throughout high school, Scarlet’s mastery of art shone brightly, earning awards and recognition. Babayar fondly recalls her bold step into leadership as a director, a moment that showcased her potential. Scarlet’s consistent success in film festivals and academic praise reflects her dedication and passion, reinforcing her sense of accomplishment. When asked about his proudest moment involving Scarlet, Babayar reflected, “I believe it was the day she stepped up to be the director for level one. It was a clarifying moment for me because I saw her potential. Scarlet boldly volunteered to lead the entire class of 25, taking charge with confidence, declaring, “I’m willing to run this show.”‘ This moment summarized Scarlet’s leadership and determination, leaving a lasting impression on all who witnessed her initiative.”

In the tapestry of Scarlet’s journey, her resilience, creativity, and compassion stand as pillars of her character,

Scarlet Evers with her friend

shaping her into an individual admired and celebrated by those fortunate enough to know her. When reflecting on her high school achievements, Scarlet shared, “I’ve consistently earned awards in film, particularly at the film festival. Each time, it’s been incredibly rewarding.” She expressed her joy in attending the festivals and highlighted moments where her teachers, like her AP literature instructor, praised her work on projects such as her analysis of Frankenstein. Scarlet finds immense fulfillment in receiving recognition and feedback, especially when it aligns with her passions, reinforcing her sense of accomplishment and dedication to her craft.