Photo credit: Ms. Fowler

Introverted, Gamer, and Lazy. These are three words David Reynaga used to describe himself. Coming from Los Angeles, California, 16 year old David is now a junior who has just recently arrived at Agua...

107 °
    108 °
    108 °
    106 °
    104 °
    101 °
    98 °
    95 °
    93 °
    91 °
    91 °
    90 °
    89 °
    88 °
    87 °
    88 °
    90 °
    92 °
    95 °
    97 °
    100 °
    103 °
    105 °
    107 °
    108 °
July 17
109°/ 85°
July 18
109°/ 86°
July 19
111°/ 87°
July 20
111°/ 87°
July 21
108°/ 88°
July 22
107°/ 85°

Ali Cardenas: The Light at The End of The Tunnel

Ali Cardenas

If you attend Agua Fria then you know or have seen Ali Cardenas at least once in your time of attending the school. Ali has always found a way to stand out in a crowd or set herself apart from everyone else, whether that be her outfits, her humor, or her outlook on the world. She has left a lasting impact on the school and the people around her and with that, she will be taking her next step into her future.

Ali Cardenas has attended Agua Fria for most of her high school career and will soon be venturing off to college. “I plan on going to EMCC for the first two years to get my generals out of the way, and then I plan on transferring to ASU after I get my Associate’s Degree for general business or fashion design.”. Ali believes that a general business degree is a good resource to have especially if you want to start a business of your own. Along with that Ali has also shown her interest in fashion design because it’s a statement to the world and one of the best forms of expression you can have.

Looking back on her high school experience Ali has said one of the biggest highlights she has experienced was the bonds she has been able to create with people. “I’m big on friendships and connections, and so I think I’ve made with all my friends and I think that some of them will be lifetimes for sure.”. To Ali, the people who she has bonded with have left a lasting impact on her life that she will keep close to her heart and cherish for years to come, and because of those bonds Ali has been able to create lifelong memories to reminisce on on in the future. “I feel like this year, is like no other year I’ve had in high school it’s just been so fun, I was spontaneous I’ve tried new things, my senior year has been my most funniest year.”. Ali was able to find a new version of herself this year and looks back on all the memories and events that have led her to this moment. But with those high ups, Ali just like everyone else had faced some challenges thrown her way. “One of my biggest challenges was getting my priorities straight, and letting other people dictate the way I would do things and how I would move.”.

Compared to her freshman year Ali has grown like no other, from her freshman year being on the computer in her room because of COVID to now a social butterfly who is always willing to get involved in whatever activity you have planned. Ali believes she has grown not only socially but mentally and emotionally, changing everything from the way she carries herself, to her confidence, her work ethic and her attitude have changed with time. Seeing how much she has changed, Ali’s one piece of advice to freshmen coming into the new school year is “Don’t try and please anyone, like you are your own person and you need to find that, no one can tell you who you are and you have to find that on your own, be authentic because that is what will attract people compared to someone who tries to be fake or fit in, and don’t take every moment for granted”. In that heartfelt message, Ali wished she hadn’t taken her high school experience for granted because it had gone by so fast and wished she had stayed in the moment just a little bit longer. She is going to miss  her friend the most because of all the connections he has made with peers and teachers because in Ali’s words “I am just a big softy” and enjoys the moments she had with those people,

With the future coming so soon Ali’s thoughts on graduation and becoming an adult frightens her a bit, but believes change is scary but necessary for personal growth. “It’s all in God’s timing, and I’m just trusting God with it and I know he is going to do good things for my journey.”. In this journey, Ali’s ultimate goal is to become a model or influencer and put her name out in the fashion industry. To Ali modeling has already been a huge part of her life and stated “It’s something that has become natural to me, but the main goal is to model for big brands and get my name out there”. Besides modeling, Ali wants to be able to push herself to the best possible version of herself and doesn’t want to limit herself in any way possible.

Closing out the interview Ali was asked what advice she could give younger her and she said “Don’t let people destroy you, you are so giving and you are so sweet, but it is a good thing to learn and grow from those experiences.” Facing everything high school has through at her in the last four years she has shown strength and brilliance through it all. With the life long lasting impression Ali will be saying goodbye to the home of the last four years and will be moving on to a bright future chasing after the light at the end of the tunnel and achieving her dreams.