Photo credit: Evianna Wright
Evianna Wright

Evianna Wright is a 16 year old girl who was born on Feb 26, 2006. She is a sophomore in Agua Fria, and this is her second semester in Journalism.  Evianna enjoys writing things down and finds it calming...

86 °
    87 °
    87 °
    87 °
    85 °
    83 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    65 °
    63 °
    61 °
    61 °
    61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    67 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
88°/ 66°
79°/ 59°
79°/ 58°
79°/ 56°
83°/ 60°
90°/ 65°

“You Probably Haven’t Seen This…” Fruitvale Station Movie Review

By: Antawn Salinas
Follow Me On Twitter: @OwlFeedAntawn

On New Year’s Eve of 2008, a young man named Oscar Grant III was accidentally shot and killed by a cop when he was getting arrested for pretty much no reason. In 2013, a movie called Fruitvale Station was made about the last day of this man’s life. It was written and directed by Ryan Coogler (known for Creed and also the director for the upcoming Marvel movie Black Panther) and starred Michael B. Jordan as Oscar Grant III.

fruitvale_station_ver2_xxlgOne of the best things about this movie other than the directing, writing and acting is that while it is based on a true story, it doesn’t try to add anything extra just to add pointless drama. I’m not sure if everything in the movie is true, but everything seems to have come from a real and honest voice instead of film executives forcing things in for popularity or money. It’s just about our main character going through his day and his relationships with his mom, girlfriend, daughter and other people.

The other great thing about this movie is that since the acting is well done, the characters don’t feel written, they act like regular people. They feel realistic. Which makes the more emotional scenes in the movie really work and make you feel something towards these people. There are some parts in this film that sort of feel like padding, but those parts are far and few. It is short movie though (only an hour and 20 minutes). And this makes sense, since the movie takes place over a 24 hour period. It doesn’t have to deal with many things.

This is a fantastic movie based on a situation that needs to be known by everyone. It’s messages still and always will matter and be relevant. There is not much I hate or even think is just okay. I highly recommend it and, for who ever has a Netflix account, you can find this movie on there. Hopefully you enjoy the movie as much as I do.