Photo credit: Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Here at Agua Fria, there are many types of students with so much to say. But rather than focusing on one person, let’s focus on first-year student Gavin Sanchez. As a fellow Agua Fria High School...

80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    89 °
    89 °
    89 °
    87 °
    84 °
    82 °
    81 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    77 °
    79 °
90°/ 67°
89°/ 67°
93°/ 70°
93°/ 72°
90°/ 69°
82°/ 67°

The Winners at the 74th Annual Golden Globes Awards

By: Kamille Sullivan

Follow me on Twitter @KamilleOwlFeed. On January 8, 2017 the 74th annual Golden Globes kicked off the film award season. Jimmy Fallon hosted of the award show, provided laughs all throughout the night.

The most successful motion picture in Golden Globes history La La Land won 7 Golden Globes. The award the movie won were; “Best Motion Picture,” both Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone won the actor and actress for the “Best Performance in Musical or Comedy,” Damien Chazelle won both Best Director and “Best Screenplay.”  “Best Original Score,” by Justin Hurwitz and “City of Stars” won for “Best Original Song.”45ae0371fc8b4f0d1cd886dceaa3f954

To start off the winners for the night in film, “Best Motion Picture- Drama” went to Moonlight, and “Best Motion Picture- Musical or Comedy” went to La La Land. Casey Affleck won “Best Actor in a Motion Picture- Drama” for his role in Manchester By The Sea, and Isabelle Huppert won “Best Actress in a Motion Picture- Drama” for her role in Elle. Aaron Taylor-Johnson won “Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture- Drama, Musical, or Comedy” for his role in Nocturnal Animals, and Viola Davis won “Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture- Drama, Musical, or Comedy” for her role in Fences. “Best Animated Feature Film” went to Zootopia, and “Best Foreign Language Film” went to Elle.

To continue the winners for the night in television, “Best Series for Drama” went to The Crown, and “Best Series for Comedy or Musical” went to Atlanta. “Best Actor in a Television Series- Drama,” went to Billy Bob Thornton for his role in Goliah, and the “Best Actress in a Television Series- Drama” went to Claire Foy, for her role in The Crown. “Best Actor in a Television Series- Musical or Comedy” went to Donald Glover, for his role in Atlanta, and “Best Actress in a Television Series- Musical or Comedy” went to Tracee Ellis Ross, for her role in Black-ish. “Best Actor in a Miniseries or Television Film” went to Tom Hiddleston for his role in The Night Manager, and “Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Film” went to Sarah Paulson for her role in The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story. “Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Miniseries, or Television Film” went to Hugh Laurie, for his role in The Night Manager, “Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Miniseries, or Television Film” went to Olivia Colman for her role in The Night Manager also.

On November 3, 2016 Meryl Streep was announced as the recipient for the Cecille B. DeMille Lifetime Achievement Award, on the night of the of the awards, during her acceptance speech, Streep had some choice words about whom people can only assume as the President Elect Donald Trump.

“But there was one performance this year that stunned me. It sank its hooks into my heart. Not because it was good; there was nothing good about it. But it was effective and did its. It made its intended audience laugh, show their teeth. It was that moment when the person asking to sit in the most respected seat in our country intimidated a disabled reporter.” Streep said.

The President responded to these comments the day after the award show, his remarks on his twitter (@realDonaldTrump) on her speech were, “Meryl Streep, one of the most overrated actresses in Hollywood, doesn’t know me but attacked me last night at the Golden Globes. She is a…..” he said. The President elect went on to address the comments about him mimicking a disabled reporter by saying, “Hillary Flunky lost big. For the 100th time, I never “mocked” a disabled reporter (would never do that) but simply showed him…….” he said.

To recap, the musical La La Land completely stole away the show in awards and film, and in television The Night Manager won the most awards. As individuals Damien Chazelle the director for La La Land won the most Golden Globes on his own, and even though there was some controversy about Meryl Streep’s speech, the night on its own was still elegant and prestigious as ever.