Photo credit: Carolina Garcia
Carolina Garcia

Carolina Garica is a 15-year-old freshman who is a first year opinion reporter at Owl Feed! She was born on January 17th, 2008. Carolina had first joined journalism because she likes to write. She enjoys...

69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
March 28
77°/ 59°
Partly Cloudy
March 29
78°/ 60°
March 30
74°/ 57°
March 31
59°/ 48°
Moderate rain
63°/ 50°
Moderate rain
71°/ 54°
Partly Cloudy

Introducing New AFHS Band Teacher Mr. Larson

Alexis Nomorosa

@OwlFeedAlexis

When former band director Mr. Veezey left the Band of Owls, the student body was surprised and were anxiously awaiting to see who would lead the Band of Owls. Starting in January, Mr. Larson arrived to improve the band on campus. Woodwind Section Leader Mr. McBee also would like to help improve the band on campus by encouraging students to join band.

Band and choir have not been as prominent on campus in the recent years. Many students in the art department are looking forward to a great new relationship with the band director and students.  

New band director Mr. Larson has set big goals for the band program. As the new teacher, he believes the band students are “hungry for more from the band program.”

Mr. Larson is a recent college graduate from Grand Canyon University. However, he has been a music coach for high school marching bands since 1982 and was a jazz director at Millennium High School before his full time position at Agua Fria. “My hope is that when kids walk out of here, they are just enthusiastic about music in general,” Mr. Larson said.  

The Band of Owls is seeking new members for the program. However, no experience is needed to join. “My goal is to get more students involved. I’m looking to expand the types of ensembles here,” he said.

Science teacher Mr. McBee was appointed to be the Woodwind Section Leader while Mr. Veezey was still here. “I really enjoy music. It helps me deal with stress in my life through a fun, artistic way. I want the band kids to have a great experience, like something I had that really kept me in music for twelve years,” he said. Mr. McBee encourages band students to “Practice, practice, practice,” as well as to “Question, question, question.”

He hopes he will be rehired as the Woodwind Section Leader to help the band students improve on their abilities to perform and succeed.

If you are an Agua Fria student that wants to get involved in the arts, band is a safe space that will accept anyone. Stop by the Band Room and talk to Mr. Larson in order get started in this amazing program.