76 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
    68 °
    67 °
    65 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    65 °
    67 °
    70 °
    72 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
77°/ 59°
Overcast
78°/ 59°
75°/ 57°
57°/ 47°
Heavy rain
62°/ 50°
Moderate rain
70°/ 54°

Meet Math Teacher Mr. Jovanelly

Meet Math Teacher Mr. Jovanelly

Treasure Byers — Owl Feed

Twitter — @OwlFeedTreasure

IMG_2906Not too many math teachers leave college as journalism majors. Mr. Jovanelly, who teaches geometry and Algebra Extensions, just so happens to be that teacher.

Born and raised in Los Angeles, California, Mr. Jovanelly attended Eagle Rock High School and went on to attend the University of Southern California, where he graduated in 2011.

After spending some time as a journalist, Mr. Jovanelly decided to become a math teacher.

“I always loved math when I was in high school,” Mr. Jovanelly said. He feels that math helps you make better decisions with not only your money, but people, too.

Mr. Jovanelly feels that the hardest part of math is that there are a great deal of rules and that you have to attend class every day to understand the material. On the contrary, he feels that the easiest part of math is that there is always a correct answer.

Nevertheless, Mr. Jovanelly still feels that reading and writing are key factors to living a happy and successful life. After all, he is teaching journalism this year, along with Mr. Morris.

“I’m most excited for the journalism program this year,” Mr. Jovanelly said. He said that he is impressed with the work that the journalism class is putting forth so far and is looking forward to how things progress.

Mr. Jovanelly hopes that his students reflect and ask themselves one very important question at the end of every day: “Am I the best version of myself that I want to be?” This is a great skill to have and so far Mr. Jovanelly is doing a great job of passing it on.

When asked what it takes to #BeAnOwl, Mr. Jovanelly said that a strong pride in yourself as well as your community are key. “You have to be committed to your dreams,” he said. And you always have to persevere when things are tough.