Photo credit: Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Here at Agua Fria, there are many types of students with so much to say. But rather than focusing on one person, let’s focus on first-year student Gavin Sanchez. As a fellow Agua Fria High School...

79 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    78 °
    80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    85 °
    87 °
    88 °
    89 °
    89 °
    87 °
    85 °
    83 °
    82 °
    80 °
    79 °
    78 °
89°/ 68°
93°/ 70°
93°/ 71°
91°/ 68°
89°/ 67°
80°/ 60°

Antawn’s Top 5 Most Anticipated Movies for the Summer of 2017

By:Antawn Salinas
Twitter:@OwlFeedAntawn

Summer is a time of movies. Many of the biggest blockbusters come out during the summer. Unlike last summer though, there are actually movies to get excited for.

Yeah, last summer was a wasteland. Ghostbusters (2016), Independence Day 2, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, and many more all bombed and were not reviewed well. Luckily, there are a handful of  movies this summer that are promising. These are five of them, in no particular order:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (PG-13): Kicking off this list, and the summer, is the sequel to James Gunn’s sci-fi/comedy Marvel film. Star-Lord and the rest of the Guardians are back on more adventures across the Galaxy. While details about the plot are scarce, there are a few new additions that we know of. The big one being Kurt Russell as Star-Lord’s father, Ego. Also, if you watched the first movie, previous villains/anti-heroes Nebula and Yondu have joined the team, as well as newcomer Mantis. This releases on May 5, 2017, and here’s the trailer.

War for the Planet of the Apes (PG-13): Next is the 3rd prequel to the Apes series with the ridiculously long names. Caesar (voiced and motion-captured by Andy Serkis) is back and is now at war with what’s left of the human race, who is led by Woody Harrelson’s character. Of course with this being a legitimate war, there will back stabbing, brutality and plenty of deaths. Looking from the trailer, this will be a truly emotional movie. This will release on July 14, 2017, and here’s the trailer.

Dunkirk (PG-13): This next one is Christopher Nolan’s next. The director of the Dark Knight and Inception is now doing a war movie on the WWII battle, The Battle of Dunkirk. From what we have learned so far, it’s about the three different perspectives of three of the soldiers in the battle on the side of the allies. Other than that, there’s not much else so far. Since Chris Nolan is doing it, you can tell just from the trailer, this will be on a massive scale, so you might want to see it in Imax. This releases on July 21, 2017, and here’s the trailer.

Spiderman: Homecoming (PG-13): Yup, if you haven’t heard yet, Spiderman is getting another reboot. This time with the MCU(Marvel Cinematic Universe) version played by Tom Holland. Spidy is joined by Tony Stark, who is pretty much his mentor in this, and the big bad guy this time is the Vulture (played by Michael Keaton). Not much to say this time. This is the 6th Spider-Man movie that has came out in the last 20 years. He’s back at Marvel Studios, so it should be pretty awesome. This releases on July 7, 2017 and here’s the trailer.

Baby-Driver-posterBaby Driver(R):  This is the only one on this list that is sort of lesser known. This is a heist film directed by Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and The World’s End) where the action scenes go to the beat of the music. The film stars Ansel Elgort as Baby who is the best getaway driver in the business. The thing about him is that due to to an accident that he had when he was young, he has a constant ringing in his ears so he’s always listening to music, which, like I said earlier, it lead to the pacing of the action. The film also stars Hollywood heavy-hitters Kevin Spacey, Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx. This was shown at South By SouthWest this year and received high critical praise and won many awards. It comes out everywhere else on June 28, 2017, and here’s the trailer.

This summer is going to be a good summer. These are only a handful of movies coming out. While I might not be completely interested in them, these are a few other movies that are coming out: Wonder Woman, Alien: Covenant, The Mummy, The Dark Tower, Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Baywatch, Despicable Me 3, and many more. There’s pretty much a movie out there for everyone. I hope you enjoy your summer.