Photo credit: Gavin Sanchez
Gavin Sanchez

Here at Agua Fria, there are many types of students with so much to say. But rather than focusing on one person, let’s focus on first-year student Gavin Sanchez. As a fellow Agua Fria High School...

64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
    66 °
    65 °
    63 °
    62 °
March 29
78°/ 60°
March 30
74°/ 57°
March 31
59°/ 48°
Heavy rain
64°/ 50°
71°/ 55°
77°/ 60°

OPINION: Another Kardashian Slammed for Cultural Appropriation Again?!

By: Ariana Moreno

Kim Kardashian. The most well known family member out of the Kardashian family is being accused of cultural appropriation.

First of all, what is cultural appropriation? In short, it is the act of taking or using things from a culture that is not your own, and usually this individual may not understand or respect this culture.

Many are accusing Kim Kardashian of being guilty of cultural appropriation this year particularly this Halloween. However, I do not feel that this is truly cultural appropriation.

The Kardashian family has been in quite a series of hot water these past years. From Kendall and Kylie’s clothing line to Pepsi commercials, these Kardashians are known for drawing undeniable heat.

unnamed (4)
Picture Courtesy of Oxygen

This Halloween, Kim decided she wanted to dress as a few of her favorite artists as tribute to them. One of them being the deceased R&B artist Aaliyah. The internet was not having it. Many strongly disagreed and one specifically tweeted that Kim’s costume is “offensive because babygirl (Aaliyah) is DEAD & you can’t pay homage when you’re an Armenian just using her look as a costume (Shaurenza Jiménez).”

I am not the biggest Kardashian fan, but I do not believe that this is fair. I do not think Kim purposely chose Aaliyah to start a battle or to cause controversy. Kim shouldn’t be accused of cultural appropriation for many reasons. Kim could have chosen a darker shade of foundation to match Aaliyah’s skin tone, but she did not. She merely copied an outfit of Aaliyah’s and got dragged in the dirt for it.

Halloween is a time to have fun and wear cool costumes, not a time to bash each other over costume choices.