71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    76 °
    75 °
    73 °
    72 °
    70 °
    69 °
    68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
77°/ 59°
Overcast
78°/ 59°
75°/ 57°
57°/ 47°
Heavy rain
62°/ 50°
Moderate rain
70°/ 54°

Opinion: Powerpuff ? …More like Powerlame Girls…

By: Ariana Moreno

Sugar, spice, and everything nice….. and an accidental drop of Chemical X?

In case you don’t know who The Powerpuff Girls are, the show first aired in 1998.

The show focuses on three super-human little girls that were created in a lab by Professor Utonium. The Professor’s goal was to create the perfect little girl. He used “sugar, spice, and everything nice” , but accidentally added an extra ingredient called Chemical X.

This leads to the birth of The Powerpuff Girls.

Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup protect their town and use their powers to fight against the forces of evil.

The show had a pretty good run but ended with its sixth season in 2005.

However, in 2016 Cartoon Network introduced us to a reboot of The Powerpuff Girls.

Despite the fact that only returning cast member is the Narrator and the Professor, there’s definitely a different feel to the show.

In the previous episodes (of the original) The Powerpuff Girls, there were many versions of a fourth sister such as “Bunny” and “Princess Morbucks”,  however none of them were permanent. But now, we are introduced to the new “long lost” Powerpuff sister; Bliss.

I feel that although this is a reboot of the original, the new writers should not have added a new Powerpuff. I grew up watching a trio of Powerpuffs Girls, not a quartet.

That being said I’m not too thrilled….I do like however, that everything about Bliss’ character is designed to set her apart from the girls.

Bliss has powers that the girls don’t such as telekinesis, teleportation, flight, and super strength (Nerdist).

As I mentioned before , there is a different feel to The Powerpuff Girls.

Image result for powerpuff girls
Photo courtesy of IMDb

Recently, I watched the new Powerpuff Girls after watching the original series.

I felt as though the humor died within the show. The humor came off as awkward and cheap in the new series. The original had clever jokes and each episode was paced.  It could just be my love for the original series talking, but then again I feel that now since the demographics have changed, the series is now meant to fit the new generation.

Even Ms. Bellum (the Mayor’s secretary in the original series) is non-existent in the new series! The Mayor constantly relied on Bellum for just about everything such as opening a jar of pickles to tucking him into bed at night. Bellum shaped the Mayor’s childlike personality considering he’s the Mayor. But now that Bellum is no longer a part of the show, the Mayor isn’t able to call for her for help, and in some instances he has called The Powerpuff Girls for non-crime related help.

Overall, the new series just can’t live up to the expectations of the true Powerpuff girls. It seems as though Cartoon Network just wanted to hype up the show for the name rather than bring back the actual show and its originality.

Let’s just hope Cartoon Network doesn’t try to revamp our whole childhood.