82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    87 °
    87 °
    86 °
    83 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    68 °
    66 °
    63 °
    62 °
    60 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    65 °
    67 °
    70 °
88°/ 67°
79°/ 59°
79°/ 59°
80°/ 55°
84°/ 61°
91°/ 66°

Opinion: Comics and Books Should NOT Be Made Into Films

By: Ariana Moreno
This year, we’ve had a long list of comics and books that were adapted into films such as: Thor Ragnarok, Justice League, Spider-Man Homecoming, Fifty Shades, Darker,  and even a remake of Stephen King’s It.

I can’t deny that I am a huge fan of Marvel’s The Avengers, and that I’m anxiously for the release of Black Panther…but I’m not a huge fan of the fact that books and comics are constantly being adapted into films.

Nearly every trailer I have seen for a movie I am interested in turned out to be based on a book.

Usually, if I enjoyed the movie enough, I’ll go out and read the book. However that’s not how our generation works.

I’m sure we’ve all heard the phrase, “ I’d rather watch the movie than read the book”.

Many can argue that watching the movie is better than reading the book, but what is the fun in that?

When you read a book or a comic you visualize the characters’ voices in your own head, it stimulates your imagination. Books can bring whole worlds to life within our minds!

While watching a movie, you don’t imagine the appearance of the character or their voice because the movie provides you with that. Also, when reading you feel the characters emotions, you feel their pain , happiness, sadness, etc. Movies can’t give you that feeling.

But when you’re lost in a book, you put on the character’s lenses and see through their perspective. It opens your mind as well as broadening your vocabulary.

I’m not squeaky clean , I have quite a few times watched a movie without reading the book. I try really hard to read the book before I watch the movie, but sometimes I just can’t wait because the storyline looks so interesting. Take The Fault In Our Stars for example. I’m a huge sucker for trashy lovey dovey stories and the hype of HUGE, I had to see it. After I watched the movie, I never read the book because I couldn’t. I already knew what was going to happen and I couldn’t get into it. However, I did wait to watch Fifty Shades of Grey before watching the movie. That being said, I read the whole trilogy within three weeks, and it was awesome.

Many good stories have been turned into lousy adaptations or even untold to their full potential.

I feel that if we stop turning good books and movies into live adaptations, we might be able to get people to read more.

Hopefully one day we will hear more of “oh yeah I’ve read that book it´s really good!¨ U

ntil then all we can do is enjoy the bookworms of our generation while they last.