Sam Rowles

As the class of 2026 enter Agua Fria, new personalities and people come into our campus. Many of these freshmen came into our Journalism class and made our class fun and thrilling. One person specifically...

68 °
    67 °
    66 °
    64 °
    63 °
    62 °
    61 °
    60 °
    61 °
    63 °
    66 °
    68 °
    70 °
    72 °
    74 °
    76 °
    77 °
    77 °
    77 °
    75 °
    72 °
    71 °
    70 °
    68 °
March 28
76°/ 59°
Partly Cloudy
March 29
78°/ 60°
March 30
74°/ 57°
March 31
59°/ 48°
Heavy rain
64°/ 50°
71°/ 55°

Opinion: Why I Think The Electoral College Does Not Work

By: Ariana Moreno

The Electoral College has the power to practically ignore our votes and thus, our voices and vote for whom they see fit for presidency. It is meant to be body of people representing the states of the US to cast our votes for the president and vice president. I feel that though the Electoral College does give some benefits of a known process and a possible quicker process, it ignores the ideologies America has set for its people.

We are told that every vote counts and that every vote holds power when in fact, it doesn’t have as much power as we´d like to believe. Nevermind the majority of people who would prefer someone else to be in power, it’s not about them it’s about how the Electoral College feels and how they see the world. That’s the message they send out to the people when they choose to ignore our voices and listen to only one or maybe a few selected.

The Founding Fathers made this system because they thought the people of the U.S were too ¨uninformed¨ when they were given power to vote for a president. This is understandable because there is a possibility it could have been a bit harder to find information about someone who had hopes to run the country in the 1800’s, but again, that was the 1800’s. In today’s time however, we have ways of gaining a large amount of information with the click of a button.

Image result for electoral college
Photo courtesy: New York Times

The Electoral College was also made so that voting would be free of bias. However, that is not true because even today members of the Electoral College are now selected by political parties and are expected to vote for the candidate that matches their party regardless of majority votes for someone else.The Electoral College also gives too much power to “Swing States”. During elections it really only comes down to a handful of states rather than the whole country. Because of this, candidates only pay attention to pleasing those few and don’t seem to focus on the states who probably need to be heard. Although the people do choose to have an Electoral College because it’s a known process and can be quick, I don’t believe it is beneficial to us.

What is so wrong in taking some time to decide who will be responsible for running our country? While it’s true that time doesn’t wait for anyone, I feel that there needs to be a new system so we can have an organized vote. That being said, there are possible alternatives instead of The Electoral College such as;

• A direct popular vote, with a runoff between the top two finishers if there is a tie or a close result.
  • Or voters could rank their prefered candidate and if no candidate receives more than 50 percent, they would be booted out the and the higher percentages of other voters preferences would be redistributed,  and as I  predicted it may be time consuming considering that the process would more than likely have to be repeated until one of the candidates has more than 50 percent.

It is possible to hold an election based off the popular vote instead of The Electoral College. The demographics within each state can vary, yet some states seem to be held as of higher importance than others such as how former Republican Tom Davis stated that ¨Virginia is not a two-party state: It is two one-party states, Republicans roll up the margins in the rural areas; Democrats roll up the margins in the cities” (CNN). Virginia is one state as a whole received much attention during the 2017 election due to the fact that one side was leaning Republican and the other was Democrat.

Why should states be represented as a whole and not the voters themselves?

There are a few good things about the system , such as how The Electoral College chooses the candidate whom they see fit for the country and would at least try to help the economy, not the candidate we like the most.

There is a mix of good and bad in everything. That being said, maybe one day The Electoral College will be improved or a new system will take its place.