73 °
    76 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    63 °
    61 °
    60 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
80°/ 60°
77°/ 59°
79°/ 54°
83°/ 60°
89°/ 66°
92°/ 69°

10 Foods That You Might Not Have Eaten

By: Hope Laborin
@SherryBomez

Food is present in cultures around the world and is essential to human life. We all have a favorite dish and we all have things we hate to eat. However, there are some foods out in the world that are eaten by many but not known my most. In his article you will be reading about ten food items that you may not have had before.

1. Ube

Ube
    Ube (One Green Planet)

Ube or also known as, purple yam (not be confused with the purple potato) is popular in the Philippines and serves as a base flavor for many desserts. It has a greyish purple skin, but a bright purple flesh that tastes similar to a yam. This purple yam is served traditionally in a dish called ube halaya, a jelly or pudding like dish that can be eaten by itself of with other foods, but is now served in things like ice cream to donuts. If you want to read more about it please click on the links provided here and here.

2. Taro Root

Taro Root
Taro Root (specialty produce)

Taro is a tropical plant that grows swollen roots similar to a potato called the taro root. These roots are often harvested and eaten by people in Africa, Egypt, Japan, and Hawaii. They have a potato-like appearance with dark brown skin and a lighter flesh that, if not cooked, is toxic. It is used in many dishes, but traditionally used in a Hawaiian dish called poi where the taro root is fermented, baked, and pounded to a paste. Read more with the links here and here.

3. Halo-Halo

Halo Halo (1)
Halo-Halo (Savvy Nana)

Halo- halo is a dessert that has many variations, but is described as a layered dessert that is made with shaved ice, condensed milk, ice cream, and mixes that range from sweetened red or white beans (they taste better than they sound) to fruits and gelatins. This dessert originated from the Philippines and is certainly something that you would eat on a hot summer’s day. To read more about this dish check out the link here.

4. Lychee

Lychee
Lychee (metoweb.eu)

Lychees are fruits branched from the soapberry family and are originally native to Southern China, but have been grown in tropical climates worldwide. These fruits are about the size of a golf ball and have a vibrant pinkish-red skin that is hard and bumpy. However, the flesh inside is white, soft, juicy, and sweet and holds a large seed in the middle. They grow on trees in clusters and can be available fresh or canned. These fruits also hold a good amount of fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B, and potassium. To find out more click the links here and here.

5. Prickly Pear Cactus

Prickly Pear Cactus
Prickly Pear Cactus (Desert Steel)

Usually when you look at a cactus that last thing you think of is eating parts of it, what with their spiny outside and harsh weather they grow in, you would never think that some actually grow fruit that can be harvested and eaten. Prickly pear is an edible cactus whose pads are often included in salads and Mexican dishes. It is also known for it reddish-pink fruit that grows at the top of these pads and is often eaten by itself or made into a juice/ smoothie.

Though the pads of this cactus are low in calories, they contain fiber, antioxidants, and vitamin A. The fruits, also known as the tunas or figs, are also low in calories and contain vitamin C, fiber, and have been shown to help regulate blood sugar. The figs, much like the cactus pads, are also covered in spines and thin hairs that must be removed before consumption via knife or burned off. Be sure to also remove the seeds as well.

Check out the links here, here, here, and here for more information.

6. Persimmon

Persimmon
Perimmon (FoodNavigator- USA)

Another fruit to our list, persimmons originate from Japan and its Latin name can be translated to ¨food of the gods¨. It grows in warm and dry climates and looks similar to a tomato with red-orange or orange-yellow color. There are two types: the stringent (not sweet) and the non-stringent (sweet). Its flesh is soft and sweet and can be somewhat lighter than the skin. To find out more about this fruit, click on the link here and here.

7. Caulerpa lentillifera (Sea Grapes)

Caulerpa lentillifera
Caulerpa lentillifera (Dreamstime.com)

The caulerpa lentillifera is a type of seaweed that grow up to about two to five meters. These plants are small and have tiny beads attached to their stem, giving them a grape-like look; if the grapes were tiny and tasted like salty seawater. They grow in low shallow lagoons around the world and are mainly eaten in Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, and Japan. They are often consumed as a garnish to many dishes such as salads, salmon rolls, and potato slices. To read more, click the link here.

8. Kool-Aid Pickles

kool-aid pickle.jpg
Kool-Aid Pickles (Cooking Panda)

I know what your thinking pickles and Kool-aid should not be put together, but lo and behold you can now thank or blame the South (U.S.), for they have given us this pickle for us to shove into our mouths and possibly enjoy. Kool-aid Pickles or rather koolickles are said to have a sweet and sour taste as the variety of Kool-aid flavors provide a plethora of sweetness and flavor to the mix depending on which one you decide to try. The read more about these pickles, click here and here. To find out how to make them, click here.

9. Spam Musubi

Spam Musubi
Spam Musubi (Pressure Cook Recipes)

Spam musubis are common snack item served in Hawaii. It is make of sliced and cooked Spam that is placed on top of a block of steamed rice wrapped in nori (edible seaweed). This food was the product of WWII as many as Spam was a main course for many soldiers during the war. This lead to the islands adopting this food item which lead to a Japanese American named Barbara Funamura to create the first spam musubi. To lean more about the spam musubi, visit this link here.

10. Ayam Cemani Chicken

Ayam Cemani Chicken.jpg
Ayam Cemani Chicken (Charismatic Planet)

If a gothic queen had a chicken farm, this is the chicken that would inhabit her farm. The Ayam Cemani Chicken is completely black from head to toe and from the outside and inside. That’s right folks, even the meat, organs, and bones are black. It is referred to as one of the rarest breed of chicken and is sold for $2,000- 5,000 or more for a pair. They are considered a luxury chicken that are eaten by the people who can afford it. To find out more about this chicken, visit these links here, here, and here.

I hope this list has opened your eyes to new food items that you could try and enjoy and hopefully fall in love with.

View Comments (1)

• F

fitoruMay 7, 2020 at 7:13 pm

Nice read! Thanks for the information.More power to your blogging career

Reply