72 °
    74 °
    77 °
    80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    87 °
    87 °
    86 °
    83 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    68 °
    66 °
    63 °
    62 °
    60 °
    60 °
    61 °
88°/ 67°
79°/ 59°
79°/ 59°
80°/ 55°
84°/ 61°
91°/ 66°

How I Avoided Senioritis

By: Kyla Heller
OwlFeed Lifestyle Editor

It’s that time of year again. As a senior it is time for checking out and graduating — or becoming a super senior.

senioritis
Picture Credit : The apache pow wow

It’s a time to reflect on four years of hard work and dedication to studies, then figuring out what the next step is after high school.

The last year of school can seem to be a drag that is never-ending. This feeling tends to lead to the dreaded “Senioritis.” Senioritis is the lack and decline of motivation to keep focus and performance during the last year of school.

For some people, this is not something that is easily avoided. Keeping on track to finish school is a struggle. Knowing that graduation is approaching is an exciting feeling.

Before we get the privilege of being the graduated class of 2019, we need to stay on track with our school work. I have some tips on how to avoid senioritis.

1. Keep a calendar

Keeping a wall calendar to track all of your assignments and due dates that you can see on a daily basis can be an excellent motivator in encouraging you to do your work because you are less likely to forget that you have assignments due.

2. Get up and get ready in the morning

Getting up and getting ready in the morning really can lead to a more productive day. Don’t wear your pajamas to school. Get up, shower, brush your teeth, get dressed, eat, and you’re out the door, ready to work for the day.

3. Get good sleep

While I personally believe that getting eight hours of sleep every day isn’t necessarily a requirement to feel rested, getting into bed at a reasonable time and not staying on your phone until you see the sunrise is a must to be more focused and engaged in your work.

4. Exercise

Physical activity can be very good for you in multiple ways. According to Livestrong, “When you exercise, you are also increasing blood flow to the brain, which can help sharpen your awareness and make you more ready to tackle your next big project. Exercise can also give you more energy.”

5. Complete Work Early

Leaving work until the last minute makes you rush to complete it so that at least you turn it in on time, but then you do not always produce work that is the best it can be. Doing work as early as you can will help be more beneficial so that you can do your best on it and be able to turn it in on time and in good condition.

Seniors long for the day that they gather in the stadium and sit through speeches and applause from the audience of supportive friends and family. The dream about hearing their name get called and shaking the hands of the administration as they walk across the stage and receive their piece of paper that simply states that you made it.

But this won’t happen if you’re stuck in high school for another year because you don’t stay dedicated and motivated in your last year of high school. Don’t be another statistic and a victim to senioritis. Stay on top of your work so that when the time comes to leave high school, you feel complete in your efforts to make high school the best you could for yourself.