81 °
    76 °
    74 °
    73 °
    72 °
    71 °
    72 °
    74 °
    77 °
    80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    87 °
    88 °
    90 °
    91 °
    91 °
    90 °
    87 °
    84 °
    81 °
    79 °
    77 °
    75 °
    73 °
92°/ 70°
87°/ 68°
78°/ 59°
81°/ 59°
78°/ 56°
84°/ 59°

Why Upcoming Movies Are Being Kept So Secret

By: David Menendez Velez

Recently movie companies have been really secretive with what they share and what not to share for their movie. It even goes as far as some directors not wanting to say anything about the movie, not even saying what the opening scene is.

ban
Photo Credit: Freepik.com

Some people who watch the movie early have to sign NDAs (non-disclosure agreement) so they can’t say anything about what they saw from the film. It kind of makes it very difficult to market the film to people who aren’t that interested.

It’s mostly for movies that are going to make a lot of money regardless of what they show. But for small movies that most people aren’t excited for, it doesn’t work.

It does have a benefit because it makes people wonder what is going to happen and make them want to go watch the film even more. Anthony Russo director of movies like Avengers Infinity War said, “The thing that’s most important to us is that we preserve the surprise of the narrative. When I was a kid and saw The Empire Strikes Back at 11 a.m. on the day it opened, it so profoundly moved me because I didn’t know a damn thing about the story I was going to watch. We’re trying to replicate that experience.”

Most of the time the directors of the movie don’t admit it but they want to add fake footage into the trailer to make people think that this will happen in the film when it actually doesn’t.

For the actors it’s really difficult because sometime for a film they have to do press to advertise the film. They do interviews like any other interview and they get asked questions about the movie and they have to redirect almost every question they get asked.

Some of the most memorable movies that have done the keeping the secret of the film is Avengers: Endgame showing all of their trailers and coming out as saying some of them are fake.

Director Joe Russo said to Altpress, “We look at the trailer as a very different experience than the movie, and I think audiences are so predictive now that you have to be very smart about how you craft a trailer because an audience can watch a trailer and basically tell you what’s gonna happen in the film.”

“We consume too much content,” Russo continued. “So at our disposal are lots of different shots that aren’t in the movie that we can manipulate through CG to tell a story that we want to tell specifically for the purpose of the trailer and not for the film.”