63 °
    65 °
    68 °
    70 °
    73 °
    76 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    63 °
    61 °
    60 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
80°/ 60°
77°/ 59°
79°/ 54°
83°/ 60°
89°/ 66°
92°/ 69°

NFL Shakeups and Surprises

By: Carlos Johnson
OwlFeed Editor-In-Chief

As we’re already almost halfway through the NFL season, many NFL teams have had to adapt in an attempt to become a playoff contender.

As Week 7 came to a close, fans all around the country are astonished to see some teams doing great, and others choking away their playoff hopes. 

One shocker is about one of the undefeated teams in the league; the San Francisco 49ers at 6-0.

“I really didn’t think the 49ers were going to be this good,” said David Segal, a senior at Agua Fria. “They are really scary to watch.”

The 49ers were one of the teams who were slept on the most. After a woeful 4-12 record the previous season, the 49ers have had a huge offseason, adding defensive players such as Kwon Alexander and Dee Ford, as well as drafting Nick Bosa in the NFL Draft.

When the regular season came around, the 49ers’ defense has been torturing offenses, and their running game has been sky-high, averaging around 175 yards per game. They shut out the Washington Redskins 9-0 in their last game.

Another shocker is the number of injuries coming to quarterbacks. The Steelers, Panthers and Saints are among the teams who have had injuries to their quarterbacks. The biggest notable shocker was the retirement of Andrew Luck during the preseason.

“Many backup quarterbacks such as Kyle Allen and Teddy Bridgewater have really stepped up to help their teams,”  David said.

The Carolina Panthers, New Orleans Saints, the Indianapolis Colts and most recently, the Kansas City Chiefs are among half the teams that have had to start other quarterbacks over their intended starters. These teams have surprisingly been able to make up for this setback. All three teams are still at winning records.

The Saints lost Drew Brees for about eight weeks Week 2. Teddy Bridgewater took the starting position, and now the Saints are at an impressive 5-1 record. He still has the starting job for at least three more weeks.

After Cam Newton injured his foot during Week 3 practice, Kyle Allen had to take over for the Carolina Panthers. He was able to take the Panthers from an 0-2 record to a 4-2 record, and still going strong.

The Indianapolis Colts and their fans were shocked to see their star quarterback Andrew Luck retire during the preseason. Forcing Jacoby Brisset to take the starting position since Week 1, the Colts are at a comfortable 4-2 record.

This last week, Patrick Mahomes II get injured on a quarterback sneak on 4th and 1. As Mahomes lunged in, he dislocated his kneecap. It is quite hard to see it happen, but the NFL aired trainers putting Mahomes’ kneecap back into place.

Surely this is not enough football to show who deserves playoff spots, but many people have early picks and surprises for potential playoff teams.

NFL Story
Photo Credit: HTC

“Even though they aren’t the best team, I still feel like the Philadelphia Eagles have a shot of making the playoffs,” said Carter Warren, senior at Agua Fria. “I also feel the Buffalo Bills can sneak into the Wild Card. They held the Patriots within a 6 point deficit.”

“I think the Cardinals can surprise a ton of people,” said David Segal. “Kyler Murray and David Johnson are really helping the offense that they really needed last year.”

“I think the Panthers will find their way in [the playoffs] ]as well,” David said. “After losing the first two games with Newton, Kyle Allen has really helped the team.”

Week 7 will be vital for some teams. The Arizona Cardinals will travel to the New York Giants. Both teams have a lot to prove, and a win will be vital if they want to stay in playoff contention. 

The Eagles will travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys on Sunday. The winner of this game will take first place in their division.