Photo credit: Ms. Fowler

Introverted, Gamer, and Lazy. These are three words David Reynaga used to describe himself. Coming from Los Angeles, California, 16 year old David is now a junior who has just recently arrived at Agua...

77 °
    80 °
    82 °
    84 °
    86 °
    87 °
    87 °
    87 °
    86 °
    83 °
    81 °
    78 °
    76 °
    74 °
    72 °
    70 °
    68 °
    66 °
    63 °
    62 °
    60 °
    60 °
    61 °
    62 °
    65 °
88°/ 67°
79°/ 59°
79°/ 59°
80°/ 55°
84°/ 61°
91°/ 66°

OPINION: 10 Halloween Candies That Won’t End Up in Your Trash Bin

By: Carlos Johnson
OwlFeed Editor-In-Chief

Being Editor-In-Chief is very sweet. On the other hand, something that is much sweeter is candy! 

Now that Halloween is over, everyone has the opportunity to go through their leftover candy bucket, or better, look into their trick-or-treat bag. 

Cover Image - The Daily Meal
Photo Credit: The Daily Meal

The following candies I am about to mention easily go down as my top 10 favorites. If you see me around campus, don’t be afraid to give me these!

Honorable Mention – Swedish Fish

I feel like all of the gummy candies are more or less the same, which is why Swedish Fish does not get its own spot on the top ten. Don’t get me wrong; I absolutely LOVE Swedish fish, but you can only have so many candies with a gummy consistency on one list. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1. Dots

Ah… Dots; the fancier, year-round version of gumdrops. I remember at one point, I would search through my candy bag after trick-or-treating just to get the Dots separated from all my other candy. Dots are delicious, but my only problem is the fact that they get so stuck in your teeth, hence why they are the lowest of the high.

1. Twix

Caramel, chocolate, and a cookie-wafer… What could go wrong? I really have no complaints about this candy. However, after Twix was my favorite candy for so long, it just became stale for me. If I never had such an obsession over it, who knows? Maybe it would have taken a Top 5 spot, but for now, it takes the 9th spot.

1. Chick-O-Sticks

If you ever wondered what a Butterfinger tastes like without the chocolate, then you have come to the right place — that is what Chick-O-Sticks are.  It really saddens my 

heart that Chick-O-Sticks are so hard to find. Literally, the only place I know where to get these is the QuikTrip off Dysart and Thomas. Just like Butterfingers and Dots, these get stuck in your teeth pretty badly, which is why Chick-O-Sticks only come at Number 8.

1. Kit-Kats

Kit-Kats are simple, yet such a staple wherever you go; it’s literally layers of chocolate and wafers. I am not a picky person, and consequently, Kit-Kats seem fairly boring for my tastes.

1. Hershey’s Cookies N’ Creme

Now we are getting into the more unique types of candy that I enjoy more. Hershey’s Cookies N’ Creme is, you guessed it, cookies and creme chocolate. This stuff is very delicious, and honestly, I really don’t have any complaints. Other candies are simply better than this.

1. BabyRuth

This stuff… This stuff slaps. According to OldTimeCandy, BabyRuth contains chocolate, peanuts, and chewy nougat. What really makes this candy so savory is the nougat. This candy gets stuck in your teeth, but not nearly as bad as the others. On top of that, the burst of flavor from this candy makes it well worth it.

1. Reese’s Cups

Reese’s Cups are easily one of the best candies. There was a time that I did not enjoy Reese’s in any form, but I quickly learned how well chocolate and peanut butter go together. 

1. Heath

I didn’t discover this candy until last year. Heath contains toffee with an outer shell of milk chocolate. The taste is sweet, yet salty all at once, with a very satisfying crunch. I had a huge debate with myself, wondering if I should put this at the Number 2 spot. But for now, it lies here.

1. 100 Grand

This is easily the most interesting candy on this list; who knew that rice would taste really good in a factory-produced candy? According to Nestle, 100 Grand is a chocolate candy which is a chocolate bar filled with caramel and stuffed rice. The crunch a 100 Grand provides is also chewy at the same time. It is a very interesting candy.

1. Sour Patch Kids

Sour Patch Kids are easily my favorite candy. Each flavor is so unique. They’re fairly sour and then become very sweet… then boom; they’re gone, just like their slogan. Even the Watermelon Sour Patch Kids taste just as good, if not, then better. You can tell that I clearly love fruity candy over chocolate candy.

These candies are superb; nothing will top out any of these. Again, don’t be scared to give these out to me if you have them!