Senior Goodbye: Jacob Coleman

Photo credit: Jacob Coleman

Jacob Coleman, OwlFeed News Reporter

I started as a freshman here at Agua Fria four years ago. Over my time here at the school I haven’t only grown as a student, but more importantly as a person. 

I typically like to keep a tight circle of friends. I roll with my friends I have had for years and that’s just how it has always been for me. But going into freshman year I met a lot of new people that I saw every day and eventually they too became part of that circle.

Going into high school I heard a mix of reviews about it. It seems media makes high school seem awful especially for new students, but for me personally my time here hasn’t been any of those things that I originally heard. 

I was nervous at first and came into my first day thinking the worst, but as time went on I became more comfortable and happy at where I was. My time during my freshman year really cemented my feeling for school for the rest of my time here. The teachers I had made me feel accepted and introduced this new environment that I would be in for the next four years.

As I progressed through high school I continued to focus on my studies and make sure I was on pace to pass. By junior year I had finished about half of my required class credits for graduation. Then all the students left school for spring break that year and ever since I haven’t been back to school. After break ended, all the students at the school received an email that school would be delayed for another week due to Covid -19. 

At the time I didn’t think anything of what was going on with the virus. I never thought it would get as bad as it has gotten today. But at the time I was happy for an extra week of relaxation, but eventually that one extra week turned into finishing the rest of junior year remotely. I was still pretty focused on my work because nothing really changed work wise.

However, going into senior year that motivation left once I learned we were staying remote and the virus had been getting worse across the country. If I am being honest I haven’t tried very hard this year. Not that school isn’t challenging, but I felt like I have no reason to try. Knowing that teachers really can’t control us students while being online created that demotivation. 

I don’t like the way I have been treating school this year, but this year specifically has taught me a lot of things. I have found a great respect for teachers and schooling in general. We are all affected by the current circumstances of the world, but we take for granted the school and teachers that are still trying to make sure we are properly educated and still experience our last year here at Agua Fria.

My motivation for school has crept back up on me these past few months. I know I need to finish strong and I intend to do that. 

I have had some of my best memories in high school. I have met some great people, and I don’t take my time here for granted. I want to thank any teacher that has taught me something over my four years. I am thankful for all the new people I have met and consider my friends. 

Without my time at Agua Fria I wouldn’t be the person I am today. My time here will not be forgotten. Thank you Agua Fria for making me.