Staff Goodbye: YOU are the WHY

Photo Credit: Dana DeLuca

By: Dana DeLuca, AFHS Art Teacher

Graduating Class of 2021 –

Your class is one of the most memorable groups of students I’ve had the pleasure of teaching and getting to know since starting working at Agua Fria in 2016. Many of you were in my first AVID 9 class and so many more of you have passed through my doors to J14 for art classes or EOT (whether assigned here or not).

Watching you all grow from freshman to seniors is one of the many reasons I teach high school. The transition is pivotal in your life and I feel so blessed to be a part of these years of your life and academic careers. 

Sharing your academic successes and personal growth milestones with me has always been very special. I have saved every note, letter, gift or photo taken between us. I’m not even kidding — you should see the stack of assorted sticky notes and scraps of paper in my drawer. 

I appreciate each one of you for confiding in me, sharing your successes and your struggles. Telling me about the good, the bad and the ugly. Who knew the couch in my classroom would turn into a counseling couch? Haha! 

Since returning to school the second time from remote learning, the amount of you who came to me to tell me of your college acceptances, scholarship rewards, jobs, and relationships filled my heart to the brim. This year has been the hardest year teaching since my first year. I’m sure you all felt the struggle as well. But upon returning to school, within the first week, I was kindly reminded of the biggest reason WHY I teach – YOU.

You are resilient. You are kind, caring and hard working. You are all going to graduate and move onto the next chapter of your life. As scary as that sounds, I can promise you one thing: THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING! 

High school, without a doubt, are the best years of your life… SO FAR. But don’t be scared. Don’t be afraid of what’s to come. You are more than ready for the challenges on the horizon. Please remember the support system that will remain in place for you within the walls of Agua Fria High School. All your teachers and mentors here will always be on your team. 

I am so excited to see the greatness you achieve and the person you become. 

As I tell my students every day they leave my classes, I tell you now as you leave Agua Fria for the last time:

Make good choices, be good humans, but if you can’t be good, please be careful.

CONGRATULATIONS. I am so proud of you.

Thank you for letting me be a part of your high school experience.

• Ms. Dana DeLuca, Art Teacher