Senior Goodbye: Day One Felt Like Yesterday

Photo Credit: Kaikoha De Brum

Kaikoha De Brum, OwlfFeed News Reporter

One thing I have always looked forward to was graduating high school. Now that the time is near, I can say without a doubt that I am relieved. Although it is very bittersweet to have to say goodbye to my past four years of life, I am looking forward to starting the next chapter in my life.

I didn’t believe as a naive freshman that high school goes by fast. However, now that graduation is only a few days away it still seems unreal how fast these past four years went by. 

I remember my first day at Agua Fria like it was yesterday. My stomach was filled with anticipation and anxiety while I waited for my new schedule in the counselor’s office. My worries were put to ease when Mrs. Goodall greeted me with a warm, gentle smile. Her kindness will be something I will never forget. 

My first day wasn’t as bad as I pictured it in my head. Mr. Collins welcomed me with open arms and his silly jokes will be something that I will miss. Another amazing teacher who I appreciate a lot is Mr. Gonzalez. I enjoyed theatre some much and one regret I will always carry with me is not branching out and joining the theatre club. 

My time at Agua Fria was filled with endless laughter, fun adventures, and unforgettable memories. Although I did not participate in many after school clubs, one thing I enjoyed a lot was athletic training.

At first, I was very skeptical because it seemed ridiculous that someone would want to spend more time at school than needed. However, it was a club that all my sisters have joined during their time at Agua Fria and it was always something they talked so much about. Looking back now, I am so glad I stuck through it.

Through this club, I met my wonderful friends Ray Alade and Alicia Ochoa. The pre-game adventures and rides home will always be something I will never forget. One thing I will always cherish are the memories we created on and off the field. 

A memory that I will never forget was the ride home from a football game against Verrado. It was a late Friday night and we were cruising down the highway with the windows down and ‘Sweater Weather’ blasting through the speakers. Although we did not win the football game, it was overall an amazing experience. 

This goodbye wouldn’t be complete without thanking the two trainers who have taught me a lot. I was lucky enough to be able to train under two amazing trainers and learned so much from both of them. Drew Lewis and Fernie Alvidrez, thank you both for allowing me to shadow and assist you guys throughout the years. 

I would also like to thank all my teachers throughout the years. I appreciate all the hard work and dedication that was spent making lesson plans for the students. Obviously, school would not be possible without you guys. 

One last thank you to Mr.Jovanelly for being an amazing teacher and overall an awesome human being! I really enjoyed journalism and it taught me so many new writing skills that I will continue to use throughout college and future careers. Although geometry was very stressful, I will forever be grateful that you were there to help me and answer any questions I had.

I will never forget the meaningful conversation we shared when my sophomore year was coming to an end. I had always had an interest in journalism and you assured me that it was a good class to take. Looking back now, I am glad I had the opportunity to take this class. 

High school was overall a fascinating experience and I am over the moon about ending this chapter of my life. Multiple late nights and mental breakdowns later, I am diligently counting down the days til graduation. One thing is for certain, I will not miss high school.