Photo credit: Ms. Fowler

Introverted, Gamer, and Lazy. These are three words David Reynaga used to describe himself. Coming from Los Angeles, California, 16 year old David is now a junior who has just recently arrived at Agua...

78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    78 °
    77 °
    75 °
    74 °
    72 °
    71 °
    69 °
    67 °
    66 °
    65 °
    63 °
    61 °
    60 °
    60 °
    62 °
    64 °
    66 °
    68 °
    71 °
    73 °
    75 °
    76 °
80°/ 60°
77°/ 59°
79°/ 54°
83°/ 60°
89°/ 66°
92°/ 69°

Benefits of working out

Clipart Illustration of a Healthy Red Heart Running Past
Royalty-free clipart picture of a healthy red heart running past, on a white background.

Have you ever thought that you need to start working out more but you lacked the motivation to do so? Yeah, we’ve all been there. There’s always something that sounds better.

Getting the motivation to work out can be hard but the benefits are countless.

Before I started working out and eating healthy, I was always extremely tired and grumpy. I thought that all the junk food I was eating would make me happy but the happiness only lasted so long.

According to mayoclinic.org, “physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. You may also feel better about your appearance and yourself when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem.”

With all that we teenagers have going on in our lives, it’s difficult to have time to sleep, let alone work out. Even a quick 30 minute workout can improve your mood and self-esteem.

Still not convinced? Start out small and work your way up. Start out by walking to and from your mailbox and build up to walking a mile and so on and so on. Eventually work your way up to running instead of walking.

Anything is better than sitting on the couch as soon as you get home from school.

If you are having trouble falling asleep at night from a week full of studying till 3 in the morning, working out can also help with that. Working out has been proven to promote better sleep.

“Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep,” the mayoclinic.org article said. They advise you to refrain from working out too close to when you plan on going to sleep though because it can have the opposite effect.

Another benefit of working out is that you spend your time doing something productive and the time goes by fast. If you have a problem with being bored constantly, working out will fill that void.

If you are a part of a sport and it’s the off season, keep working out! Working out, even when the season ends, gives you muscle memory and you will be in shape for when your season starts up again.

It is not too fun when your coach expects you to do two hours of conditioning on the first day back and you can’t even make it past the first 10 minutes. Conditioning yourself beforehand is a good way to make sure you can make it through.

Working out is a good way to keep physical and mental health.