Sarah Lucas: The Jack of All Trades

Photo Credit: Sarah Lucas

Makayla Kennedy, OwlFeed Lifestyle Editor

Imagine this is you: you have an eight hour day at school full of Advanced Placement classes, AVID, and social life, then you spend hours on either the soccer field or the tennis and badminton court while still finding time to do art. 

That seems like a lot right? Well that’s just an average day for Sarah Lucas and she does it flawlessly. 

Sarah is a senior at Agua Fria High School and has been an Owl all four years. She has kept busy, being a part of AVID, soccer, tennis, badminton, art showcases, and several AP classes. 

Her favorite AP class was AP Literature. She loved reading the books and discussing them in class. 

She really amazes everyone by juggling all her responsibilities. In my opinion, she’s severely underrated.  

“I don’t even know how I do this,”  Sarah said. “I do a lot of work during school, I never sleep.” 

Sarah joined AVID her freshman year of high school. 

“I chose to do AVID because I was really messy in middle school,” she said. “AVID helped me learn techniques to be more organized.” 

She continued to be a part of the class for the remainder of her time at Agua Fria. 

After being in AVID all four years, the people around her have gotten to know her pretty well, one in particular being her soccer coach and AVID teacher, Ms Fowler. 

“I’ve never had one issue with Sarah, she’s just so interesting and true to herself, she’s the best,” Ms. Fowler said. 

Along with being in AVID all four years, she also was on the soccer team every year (minus junior year due to Covid). 

“I’ve been doing soccer since I was a little kid and just really liked the sport,” she said. “It’s good to get my anger out on soccer.” 

Ms. Fowler even mentioned that some AVID students came to support Sarah during a game and couldn’t believe it was her on the field being loud, aggressive, and vocal. 

“She’s so quiet, but when she comes out on the soccer field, it’s two different people,”  Ms. Fowler said. 

Soccer isn’t the only sport Sarah was a part of, she also did tennis and badminton after watching her sister play. 

“I’m really glad I did those sports because they’re so much fun,” Sarah said.

Now that seems like so much to juggle doesn’t it? Well wait, there’s more. Sarah also does art. 

“I mostly like watercolor and mix media stuff,” she said. “I kind of suck at acrylic.”

Her other styles of art include drawing, painting, sewing, and crocheting. “I like to make art to express myself,” Sarah explained. Sarah has been a part of every Art Showcase since her freshman year. 

While Sarah’s time at Agua Fria is quickly coming to a close, she has big plans for the future. She plans to attend the University of Arizona to get a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Illustration and Design. 

Sarah couldn’t be who she is without the help of her family. At home, she looks up to her big sister Anna, a 2020 Agua Fria graduate. “She constantly motivates me to be the best I can be,” Sarah said. 

Along with her sister, Sarah has the support of her father, Mr. Lucas, one of Agua Fria’s own school counselors. 

“It’s special having your kid coming to school and getting to see them everyday,” Mr. Lucas said. “It’s great to see how she’s grown and become her own person.” 

He credits a lot of her success to the AVID program and loves seeing her succeed and grow. 

Sarah also has three dogs named Kiwi, Mushu, and Lola who she loves very much. She explained how she is “going to die” when she goes to college and can’t see them every day. 

With all that she does, it’s very hard to describe Sarah in just a few words. Fowler struggled to pick, but ultimately decided on “well-rounded” and “remarkable.” 

“She can do pretty much anything she sets her mind to,” Fowler explained. 

Sarah has been heavily involved with Agua Fria since she first stepped foot on the campus. It’s no surprise the impact she’ll leave behind. 

“She’ll definitely leave behind her art and who she was as a person, she spreads a lot of positivity all the time,” said Fowler. 

As Sarah exits Agua Fria and steps onto the college campus, people from all directions will be cheering her on and supporting her dreams. 

“If she stays true to herself and does what she wants to do, she’s going to be incredible,” Fowler said. 

“I’m just so proud of Sarah,” Mr Lucas said. “I see the hard work she puts into things and seeing her involved in athletics and her art, I’m just so proud.”

Even though I don’t know Sarah well, hearing everyone say how amazing she is and talking to her for almost an hour, I know that’s true. Between the giggle breaks, I could see just how passionate she is about everything and I hold no doubt she will be a force to be reckoned with. 

The world isn’t ready for Sarah Lucas.