UVA Shooting

Photo Credit: www.gettyimages.com

Ivan Estrada, OwlFeed News Editor

On November 13, 2022, a tragic shooting occurred on the campus of the University of Virginia. Christopher Darnell Jones Jr; a 22-year-old student is suspected of killing three football players and leaving two other people injured. This is unbelievable as Christopher was an ex-player on the football team for Virginia and harmed his ex-teammates. What was the reason for the shooting? Let us get in-depth.

The shooting occurred on a Sunday night, approximately at 10:30 p.m. “Near a campus parking garage on a bus full of students returning from a play in Washington, D.C”, www.cbsnews.com. Right after a play, students head back to the parking garage, about to leave right after being entertained by a play. Unbelievable.

This late-night shooting, unfortunately, caused three student deaths, and two other students injured. “The deceased victims were identified as Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr, and D’Sean  Perry,” www.cbsnews.com. These students were also on the UVA football team. So much potential these students could have had but with just one bullet, things can seriously change. Now, we can not see what impact these students could have had on the world.

Sorrow across the university as UVA President Jim Ryan said, “The entire university community is grieving this morning. My heart is broken for the victims and their families and for all those who knew and loved them, and they are all in my prayers”. 

Who could have done this, you may ask? Well, the suspected student behind all of this is Christopher Darnell Jones Jr, a 22-year-old student and former football player for UVA. Not knowing his intent for the shooting, witnesses on the bus say that Jones was not shooting randomly but directed toward people. “A witness who was on the bus, which was returning from a class field trip to Washington, D.C., also told police that Jones shot and killed Cavaliers receiver Devin Chandler while he was sleeping”, www.espn.com

Even when sleeping, Jones showed no mercy to his ex-teammate as Devin Chandler was resting, returning from the class field trip, and had no clue what was going on. Jones was later found and arrested in eastern Henrico, not quite far from where the shooting was at.  “He is charged with three felony charges of second-degree murder and firearm use in the commission of a felony, as well as two counts of malicious wounding and additional gun-related charges related to shooting Hollins and Morgan”, www.espn.com. Jones is now charged with three felony charges and still on probation, possibly awaiting his sentence in jail.

“At least 68 shootings have unfolded this year on US school grounds, including 15 on college campuses, CNN finds, with at least one person shot in each case, not including the shooter”, www.cnn.com. Shocking to find that 68 shootings have occurred this year on school grounds around the country. Is there a way to prevent more shootings? Well, not sure what solutions could stop shootings as the intent of the shooter is unknown, and what causes that person to shoot. For now, let us hope there is a way for shootings to occur less as family and friends should not go through the pain and worrying about their loved one dying, being injured, and witnessing during a shooting.