107 °
    108 °
    108 °
    106 °
    104 °
    101 °
    98 °
    95 °
    93 °
    91 °
    91 °
    90 °
    89 °
    88 °
    87 °
    88 °
    90 °
    92 °
    95 °
    97 °
    100 °
    103 °
    105 °
    107 °
    108 °
July 17
109°/ 85°
July 18
109°/ 86°
July 19
111°/ 87°
July 20
111°/ 87°
July 21
108°/ 88°
July 22
107°/ 85°

Unified Sports has Speed

Agua Fria High School’s annual Unified track meet was held on Friday, April 12th showcasing the sense of community spirit and welcoming within the Agua Fria School District. Bringing together students from each high school, students of all abilities compete side by side in a series of track and field events. 

Photo by Lilianna Gomez

Everyone’s enthusiasm filled the stands as watchers and participants alike cheered on athletes as they displayed their talent and determination. This event was filled with a sense of unity and supportiveness, highlighting the strong community Agua Fria promotes. 

This event could not have been executed without the help of Agua Fria students and staff. Agua Fria’s Track and Field team volunteered their time in filling vital roles of welcoming schools, timekeepers, distance measures, and setting up and taking down the event. Staff was the ultimate backbone of the event creating and organizing the meet making it come to life each and every year. Their commitment ensured that the event ran smoothly for participants and spectators. 

The meet kicked off with the 100-meter walking event where Megan Flores from Millennium impressed spectators by walking at one of the fastest times of 39.75 seconds. Encouraging cheers filled the stands for each athlete. Another thrilling moment was during heat 9, when Angle Escarcega and Ayden Edmonds, representing Canyon View, the audience was thrilled to watch the neck and neck race. The display of determination between both athletes was highlighted as Angel crossed the finish line in a time of 13.12 seconds and Ayden crossed just milliseconds after with a time of 13.13 seconds. Despite this intense competition, both athletes celebrated their achievements and were eager for future races together. 

Photo by Lilianna Gomez

Shortly after the field events, including throwing competitions, took place. A couple of stand-out performances included Jacob Hernandez from Agua Fria, who threw 85 feet 3 inches in the softball throw. Additionally, Agua Fria’s Track and field throwers, Guy and Richerd, helped assist the Unified athletes ensuring correct form and accurate measurements. Meanwhile, Jacob Reyes from Desert Edge had a great first throw measuring 17 feet 3 inches in Shot Put. In the long jump area, Coach Espinoza aided in measuring and recording jumps for the athletes who had impressive performances in this event. Last but not least was the 4×100 relay which included Unified athletes and the school’s helpers showing remarkable teamwork by all athletes. The excitement for this event showed as spectators rooted for each school that crossed the finish line. 

Overall this event showed a contagious spirit and inclusivity in sports that is valued here at Agua Fria. We cannot wait for more events like this to celebrate the joy and respect for this sport in the future.