Senior Goodbye: Get Out of Your Comfort Zone

Photo credit: Kevin Caballero

Kevin Caballero, OwlFeed Opinion Reporter

My time at Agua Fria high school has taught me many things. I have made many new friends and  I’ve even learned new things about myself and have stepped out of my comfort zone in some instances.

My freshman year I was excited to dive into high school and start seeing what I could do with the time I had here. I was eager to make new friends, meet my teachers and get started on my work. 

My freshman year was one to remember. It was a roller coaster. I met a bunch of new people in my classes who to this day I still talk to. 

Going from the 8th grade to my freshman year was a new experience and definitely took some getting used to. I have to admit I was the freshman with my campus map asking for directions to my classes all the time and of course I was occasionally still lost after receiving help.

The first year that I attended Agua Fria High School I was always looking out for stereotypes about the high school experience that I have previously seen on movies and television. Sure enough, some of them were present such as people being in their groups. 

As I went on with my high school years I started to get better grades, meet even more people and take more classes that I thought were interesting. I took film and tv which was one of the best classes I took. I met some of my best friends in that class and it was a cool new way to try out new creative things that I have not tried before. 

In my junior year, I picked up journalism because I like writing and I always wanted to try journalism, it has always been appealing to me. After joining the class, meeting the people and writing my first few stories I was having a lot of fun, writing about what I wanted, doing interviews and putting myself out there to try new things and get out of my comfort zone. 

If I were to give myself or others advice about high school, I would tell them to try anything that interests them. Also, try to get out of your comfort zone. Have fun but do not mess up your academics, you will regret it.

As my senior year comes to an end I would like to thank all my excellent teachers for helping me out and for being there for me whenever I needed them.